Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Goode & Gooseberry Project: Yam Risotto


Today's Goode & Gooseberry Project Recipe is Yam Risotto.




I really had high hopes for this recipe... it had shallots in it and I jump at the chance to use shallots. I love their delicate flavor. But, truth be told, this wasn't one of my favorite recipes... as much as I really wanted it to be-- Risotto just sounds so fancy...just sayin'

I think I'd like it a lot better with fresh yams/sweet potatoes vs. canned. I am a fresh sweet tater gal through and through and I couldn't get past the canned taste on this one. So, I think it has potential enough to try again with fresh... just sayin'

Now after that long-winded set-up, if you like canned yams or if you want to give 'er a try with fresh sweet taters, here is the recipe.


Melt 2 T of butter in a pot.


Mince up a shallot and toss'er in


Along with a clove of minced garlic


Saute until soft


Then add 3/4 cup of Arborio rice (uncooked) and cook for 1 minute



Now add 1 cup of canned yams mashed (or I am going to try 1 cup of fresh mashed sweet potatoes next time) and 1/2 cup of chicken broth.


Heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly


Continue to add chicken broth in 1/2 cup intervals as liquid absorbs, stirring constantly until all 3 cups have been added for 15 minutes.


Remove from heat and add cinnamon, salt and pepper


Stir, plate and garnish with pumpkin seeds


Like I said, I really want to like this one...


Everyone deserves a second chance, right?



Here is the recipe, give 'er a try and let me know what you think.

*Note: I do know that yams and sweet taters are not the same thing, but 'round these parts we use their names interchangeably.

Photobucket

0 GOODe Thoughts:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More