Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, October 18, 2010

GOODe GOODeNESS: Haystacks- Not Your Mama's Taco Salad


Tonight's recipe, Haystacks, is at the request of Jaelithe of the Librarian @ Home. Jae and I go way back (think prior to grade school folks ;)) and when we reconnected in the great big ole Blogosphere, Jae sent me a note and asked that I hunt down an old get-together family favorite that our families would share: Haystacks.

Truth be told this meal is great for get-togethers because everyone can bring one component to make a do-it-yourself version of taco salad with a lot of different flavors than you would expect.


You start with about 2 cups of rice. I cooked mine up in my new Pampered Chef Micro-Cooker. 

Dude! Where have I been??? I am in love with this thing.

Once my rice was done, I sat it aside and cooked my ground beef up in it!


I put the raw hamburger in...


 Added 1 chopped Onion, 1 chopped garlic clove, salt and pepper...


Mixed it all up with my Mix 'n Chop ( and we all know how I feel about it...) and popped it into the microwave for 2 minutes, mixed, then 3 minutes, mixed and cooked for 2 more minutes.


I then drained it through it's drain-able lid 


And added in 2/3 cup water and some Old El Paso Taco Seasoning


I then mixed it up and popped it back in for another minute.


And sat it aside.


I then heated 1 T of Olive Oil in a skillet and cooked down some mushrooms with a little salt.


Cover and let them cook down.


Drain and set aside


Heat up some cheese sauce and... you guessed it, set aside.


The slice up some grape tomatoes, grab some olives and place in a serving dish with the mushrooms.


Now take some Club Crackers...


And crush them up...


Whew... I'm tired, how about you???


Ok, we are on the home stretch, I promise.

Grab your plate and put some lettuce on it.


Now the rice


And the taco beef


Mushrooms 


Tomatoes


Club Crackers


Cheese Sauce


And finish off with your favorite salad dressing....


Tradition calls for French Dressing 'round these parts...


So there you have it, Haystacks-Not Your Mama's Taco Salad.

If your family would like to give this recipe a try or take a more traditional approach to family taco night, click here to go to learn about my Old El Paso Family Taco Night Prize Pack Giveaway.


Linked to: 




  • Tempt My Tummy Tuesday








  • Tuesdays at the Table








  • It's a Blog Party





  • Photobucket



    Disclosure: The plates and taco seasoning packet pictured above were provided by Old El Paso click here for more information.

    Photobucket

    13 GOODe Thoughts:

    Thanks for linking up with us at MFM. I'm returning your follow from the Thrifty Things and look forward to reading more of your blog.

    That looks scrumptious. Too bad I wasnt' there. LOL!

    Welcome to the Tuesday Train. Have a great week!

    Mmm! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! I'm following back. ;)

    Jennifer @ http://justpeachyindixie.blogspot.com

    This might be the third thing my 22 year old son would eat. The first two are pizza and...Wait! Maybe this is the second. LOL

    How interesting to use the club crackers and the mushrooms.
    I'll have to get brave and give this it a try.
    Have a great day !

    Cris, I am so happy to see this post! I cannot wait to have Haystacks for dinner! I requested this from my Mom about a year ago, but I think she forgot about the mushrooms. Also, love the Old El Paso plate!

    I just discovered this amazing dish a year ago and now it's a family favorite! :) We love to add corn chips and black olives to ours.

    Micro Cooker! That's the name of the thing I cooked my ground beef up in for my lasagna!

    Your Texas Straw Hats look Yum! and how fun to hook up with an old friend out here in cyberspace! Way cool!

    This is really unusual, but a great change from regular taco salad.

    This is really unusual, but a great change from regular taco salad.

    Cris, I am so happy to see this post! I cannot wait to have Haystacks for dinner! I requested this from my Mom about a year ago, but I think she forgot about the mushrooms. Also, love the Old El Paso plate!

    This might be the third thing my 22 year old son would eat. The first two are pizza and...Wait! Maybe this is the second. LOL

    How interesting to use the club crackers and the mushrooms.
    I'll have to get brave and give this it a try.
    Have a great day !

    Post a Comment

    Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More