Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Friday, October 22, 2010

Goode & Gooseberry Project: Rhode Island Peach Slump using Cinnamon Biscuits


How about some dessert? 



Today's Goode & Gooseberry Project Recipe is Rhode Island Peach Slump (using Gooseberry Patch's Cinnamon Biscuits as a part of the recipe! Double score!) ... and DUDE this stuff is GOODe!



Truth be told I know, I will be making this dish for years to come because my daddy LOVES peach anything and this ladies and gentlemen is definitely a winner.

Added bonus? It is a one skillet dish...

So let's get down to business...


The recipe calls for 6 cups of fresh peaches and despite being in Georgia at the time of this recipe, I couldn't find a fresh peach in sight, so I grabbed a couple of jars of peaches...

It was only when I got back to the kitchen that I discovered I had picked up PICKLED PEACHES... hmmm who ever heard of such a thing? 


Well, a gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do...so I rinsed those puppies off  and threw them in a skillet...praying the sugar would do its job on these little tarts.


1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water went into the skillet...


And plenty of cinnamon...


Then, instead of adding basic "baking powder" biscuits, I flipped to the Cinnamon Biscuits recipe and whipped it up instead.


2 cups of flour


1 T Baking Powder... 

Psst... I wasn't going to mention it, but Aunt Lou keeps referring to it in my comments... you might have caught on to an inside joke 'round these parts regarding baking powder... 

Ya see, when we were kids I got in big time trouble one time for leaving Aunt Lou at home alone baking because I got tired of waiting on her baking her "un-bake-able" cookies that would never set up because she forgot to add baking powder to the recipe. Being the older sibling comes with its lumps...just sayin' ;)

Fast forward twenty or so years, while baking at my house, we had a similar issue when she was helping me with a recipe for this project... her biscuits just wouldn't rise folks... 

Turns out, baking powder still alludes her ;) 

One guess what I am getting her for Christmas ;)

Anyhoo, back to the recipe...


Add 1 t of Salt


1/2 t of Sugar


And Cinnamon (I rarely measure cinnamon... I heart it and use it liberally).


I cut up 1/4 cup of butter and mixed until crumbly.


Then added 1 cup of milk and mixed until moistened.


Now, place dollops of this fantastic dough on top of your peaches.


dollop. dollop. dollop.


Now sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar...


And cover with a lid, cooking on medium for 30 minutes.


And tah-dah...


Serve warm topped with whipped cream...


Turns out those tart little pickled peaches did alright. They sweetened up a bit and added a little more complex flavor... Can't wait to give 'er a try with fresh peaches though ;)


Enjoy!



Photobucket

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More