Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Goode & Gooseberry Project: Flaky Chicken Pot Pie (The Kids Cook Monday)


Tonight's Goode & Gooseberry Project Recipe is Flaky Chicken Pot Pie.


With all the veggies in this quick and easy dish, I thought it was perfect for Miss Add to pitch in for The Kids Cook Mondays!


So, we grabbed our matching aprons (Thanks Memaw!) and got down to business.


Truth be told I was really glad Miss Add wanted to help. Mama was feelin' a little under the weather.


But, fear not-- Mama's helper was there to save the day!


We started out with a can of chicken breast. Now, next time I will likely use my new micro-cooker to whip up some frozen chicken breast in a flash, but like I said I was feeling under the weather so I really appreciated that I could just open cans and have Miss Add dump them in (and this was pre-micro-cooker... aka the tool that is changing my life...lol ;)).


Miss Add then added 1/2 Cup of Milk.


Then Miss Add added 2 cans of mixed veggies



And 2 cans of low fat Cream of Chicken Soup


I then added garlic powder, salt and pepper


Then we whisked it up and set it aside.



I then melted 1/2 cup butter in a medium bowl.


I then added 1 cup flour and mixed 'er up.


Miss Add then added 1 cup of milk and I added salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons of baking powder... a very important ingredient ;)


I then whisked 'er up and truth be told I got a little worried.


It seemed awfully thin...just sayin'


I then poured the first mixture into two pie plates and poured the second mixture over the top. 


Truth be told, at this point, I was really worried. I was having a hard time seeing how that little dab of batter was going to turn into the flaky crust this recipe had as its claim to fame.

Befuddled, I popped it in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes anyhow and began to think over how I was going to explain this flop to ya'all... 

Was it me? Was it the recipe? Could I claim do-over due to sickness?

But then something magical happened...


That there baking powder did its job and poof! I had a crust!!!


A beautiful, flaky crust... and guilt. Guilt for doubting the recipe and our execution of it ;)


Then my sick little self took a bite of this heart warming dish and I got over it-- I wasn't feeling well... I couldn't be held responsible for losin' my mind for a few seconds... just sayin'


Now, for more fun, go check out my gal pal's new linky! Miss Leah of Beyer Beware is hosting her very first:

Hunk of Meat Mondays

Also linked to:


Photobucket

13 GOODe Thoughts:

What a fun project for you and your daughter. My kids were always in the kitchen with me, and now my grandchildren are, its a wonderful memory.
Thank you for sharing.

This might be our supper tonight! I have some chicken I NEED to cook ASAP! Hope you are feeling better!
I'm emailing you a questions about how to create recipe cards for the blog. I like the ones I have been seeing!

Little Miss Add should be arrested for public cuteness! What fun. :-)

Hmmm...baking powder. Do you REALLY need that? ;)

This sounds really good! (Even with all those pesky veggies in there.) Can I borrow momma's helper to help me make some? :)

I've never made chicken pot pie before mostly because to me it's intimidating.....but you make it seem so easy. I thing I will try this out sometime this week. Now I'm hungry! :)

It's so much fun to cook with little ones. Your project turned out scrumptious!

Yummy
Love your blog. Following you from blog hop. www.abundanceyeah.blogspot.com
a food blog full of recipes, food giveaways and spices.
Follow Back

Hoppin' over from Hunk of Meat Monday.
This recipe looks great~ I'll add it to my "comfort foods" rotation!

yumalicious! your newest blog hop follower. happy monday! would *love* a follow back! you can find me at:

http://aceandfriendsco.blogspot.com/

Hoppin' over from Hunk of Meat Monday.
This recipe looks great~ I'll add it to my "comfort foods" rotation!

Hmmm...baking powder. Do you REALLY need that? ;)

This sounds really good! (Even with all those pesky veggies in there.) Can I borrow momma's helper to help me make some? :)

What a fun project for you and your daughter. My kids were always in the kitchen with me, and now my grandchildren are, its a wonderful memory.
Thank you for sharing.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More