Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Goode Goodness: Potato and Corn Chowder




THIS is what we had for lunch today.  Potato and Corn Chowder. YUM!  This little dish is a new favorite around here.  Especially on November days that actually act like November days and are a little chilly outside.

Bet ya can't guess what cookbook I got the idea from???


You guessed it.  Gooseberry Patch.  This particular one is one of my most used cookbooks by the way.  LOVE all of the ideas and recipes.

So I started with an onion... no tears please :)




I chopped her up and threw her in a pot with 2 T "butter". I used light margarine--GASP. (Sorry I ain't a butter purist Paula--and let's be honest if I were Paula I would have put the whole darn stick in.)




Then I cooked her up until the onions were a little translucent.-- Not sure why my onion is a girl today, but she is--so go with it.




In the mean time, I grabbed some red potatoes. I heart red potatoes.  I grew up on Russets, but now we have red 90% of the time. Oh I know the potato gods think you need a different potato for different dishes. Not me... red potatoes are too heavenly to use anything else;)




So I began to peel 'em up. But first I grabbed a garbage bowl a-la Rachel Ray style.




Speaking of Rachel.  I've got a whole new respect for her after the Martha comments. And Martha, I have decided having an "inner Martha" ain't such a good thing anymore-- I know you will be heart broken.

I have decided that since my skills pale even in comparison to poor Rachel's -- I think I will now consult my "inner Rachel"--but Rach, I think I'll keep my own voice if that is ok with you ;)




Back to the potato.  I chopped them up and set them aside.

Then I measured out 2 cups of chicken broth (I strayed from the recipe here--you know me... cooking has to be an adventure and following things to a tee is just too boring!)




Then I added the broth and potatoes to the pot and brought to a boil




In the meantime, I added some chopped red and green peppers for a color and flavor punch!--also a deviation from the recipe.  Watch out I such a rebel!



Pretty.

After adding the peppers, things were coming to a boil.



So I added some Kosher salt and pepper.

I heart Kosher salt.




Then I added 2 cups of milk to 2 T of flour  in a separate bowl.

G-R-A-D-U-A-L-L-Y



Easy does it...




Once I had a liquid-y paste, I added the rest of the milk.

And  then poured the milk and 1/2 a 32 oz bag of frozen corn into the pot.



Mixed 'er up and let simmer for about 1/2 hr.




In the mean time I chopped up some fresh parsley



And threw it in as a garnish



So hearty and yummy




And pretty :)




I seriously have only one serving left :(

Next time I need to double the batch...


3 GOODe Thoughts:

oh that looks absolutely yummy!!!! thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More