Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's a Goode Life: Is this my new "frenemy"?

My friend over at Quarry Orchard seems to think this guy is on to something. So, Puddie and I will soon be welcoming this guy as a new "friend" into our home.



I say "friend" because most of this guys "friends" seem to have a love/hate relationship with him...lol. I hear folks grumble his name all the time. I don't think is the poor ole guy's fault... but I don't know yet. Talk to me in a few months and I might have a different point of view... I have a feelin' he ain't gonna be a fan of my Vera habit : /

So, Puddie and I are gonna be reading this over the next few weeks:



I just bought it on amazon.com.

I heart amazon.

Oh wait!

He likes amazon, right? His books are sold there... surely he'll let me keep my amazon.

Sweet, sweet amazon... I will miss you so.

I am so glad Blogger is free...whew.

8 GOODe Thoughts:

I've read some of Dave Ramsey's stuff, but at times he comes across to me as one of these people who has money so it's easy for him to say "Save 20% of you paycheck each wk." or "Cut out all extra luxuries". People who live paycheck to paycheck can't just stop paying their bills to save $$$ & some people (like us) don't really have luxuries to cut out. (For example, we have NEVER been to a Starbucks - that seems to be everyone's biggie). I think I remember reading that he was, at one time, poor & in way over his head in debt & worked his way out of it. From what I remember of him & his radio show, he does have some solid advice.

I am a fan of Mary Hunt, the Everyday Cheapskate lady. She has a website & book called Debt-Free Living. Her ideas are solid & doable. (Although I don't always agree w/ her 100%). Her personal story is nothing short of AMAZING though. You should read it at http://www.debtproofliving.com/MeetMary/MarysStory/tabid/212/Default.aspx . Her & Dave disagree on whether or not a person should have credit cards (I think). But they see eye-to-eye on most things & she speaks highly of him.

Let me know what YOU think of him!

Thanks for the link! I will let you know... I am never one to keep my opinion to myself...lol! But I will also check her out.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike, this guy has saved my marriage. I was the spender in our relationship, after attending 6wks of his lesson, we are so, so close to being debt free. It is a no non-sense approach, Dave isn't selling a get debt free overnight package, just a common sense lesson on life. As far a doing without, we have done just fine, we have not had a credit card of any sort for two years now, and we are doing fine. Hope people give Dave a chance!!
JJ

I have listened to him before but never read any of his books. I'll have to check it out!

Karla and I took Dave's 13-week Financial Peace University program through our church in 2009. It's one of the best things we've ever experienced together. It's transformed our finances, our marriage, and our walk with Christ. In just 6 months, we've paid off nearly 25% of all of our debt. It's given us a new set of financial habits that we can pass along to our kids.

Although his books are good, you don't get the full weight of his message until you go through FPU. It's really not about paying off debt...it's about building wealth so you can give it away. There's a lot of depth, meaning, and purpose in what Dave's teaching. Becoming debt-free is just one small part.

I've helped adapt the FPU program to train the branch managers at my credit union on how to work with members in financial trouble. We also facilitate the full FPU program for dozens of members throughout the year.

Give me or Karla a call or email sometime! We'd love to talk more about our FPU experience - heck, we'd just love to get back in touch with you Goode folks!

Love to y'all,
Andy

Thank you all for your thoughts and experiences on this! We are pretty excited to experience it for ourselves.

And A & K-- we'll be taking you up on that offer. We could use some Goode Janning time ;)

John and I heart Dave Ramsey. We have been listening to him for years, saw his "Total Money Makeover, Live!" event in Indianapolis twice, and flew out to Dallas for his EntreLeadership one-day event. Fabulous advice, although it really is just "common sense." We followed his plan individually before we got married, and do it together now. We have debt on a slightly different scale than a lot of people, so we have a very long-term plan for getting out of debt, but we are doing it!

Mike, this guy has saved my marriage. I was the spender in our relationship, after attending 6wks of his lesson, we are so, so close to being debt free. It is a no non-sense approach, Dave isn't selling a get debt free overnight package, just a common sense lesson on life. As far a doing without, we have done just fine, we have not had a credit card of any sort for two years now, and we are doing fine. Hope people give Dave a chance!!
JJ

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More