Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

It's a Goode Life: Goode Math

Ever since the 8th grade I have had a claim to fame-- I am awful at math.



Ya see, my Pre-Algebra teacher had a knack for telling my class we were stupid and I had a knack for believing her... That was the first time I ever got a C in school. I knew my parents were going to kill me. However, I think they were secretly thrilled because their A student was making a D at midterm that semester so the C was welcomed. While I won't blame all of my post 8th grade "mathness" or lack there of on that one awful experience, it did set my little young mind on a trajectory that I put a stop to just this weekend.

I have always been all for knowing and playing to your strengths, but this new found dumbness in math allowed me to hide behind my weakness for ahhh ...say... um... the last 18 years.

Now with that said, I didn't enjoy most math. Except for a brief stint with Geometry (which I loved), high school math frustrated me and I wanted nothing to do with it.

I am serious.

When the guidance counselor asked me what I wanted to major in at college, I told him "Whatever does not involve math."

Truth is, around college I realized that I was decent at most logical math problems and when put in a position where I had to do it, I would do just fine. However, this did not fit my comfy image that I had built so I went plugging along being "dumb at math".

This would later bleed over to being "bad at Excel". I am a quick learn at any computer program. I have self taught myself very difficult and technical software time and time again. Yet, for "some reason" Excel just eluded me...(more like the motivation to learn Excel eluded me...lol).

Many of you know that I am a Lou Tice fan. Lou talks a lot about our thoughts and the things we focus on and tell ourselves. Frankly, Tice would kick my butt if he ever heard me talk about math the way I have described. Tice encourages you to focus on the goal, not the problem. Much like driving, where you focus your thoughts is where you will end up.

So, if I am set on driving myself to being "dumb at math" then that is exactly what I will get. But, the reverse is true. If I focus on improving my math skills that will be what I get... hmmm there is a thought. Could striving for self improvement be better that wallowing in ignorance as a poor dumb girl who is bad at math? And, more importantly--What do I want Addie to see in me?



So with that, this weekend I decided all this silly self-math-talk was going to come to and end and I volunteered to be the Ramsey "nerd" to put our budget in writing in Excel. I put together our draft budget. And, guess what? I was darn good at it. I got formulas and numbers flying all over the place. I am color coded and auto-updated --oh and most importantly-- balanced ;)

I am so thankful that God blessed us with the opportunity to join the Financial Peace University class at our church literally weeks after he laid it on our hearts to begin reading Dave Ramsey's book. It has definitely brought us financial peace and as you can see, so much more. All this and we are only through week 2!

BTW- If you want to find a class in your area, just enter your zip code at http://www.daveramsey.com/ .

Oh and if you don't know Tice, do yourself a huge favor and get to know him. You can join his PX2 group on facebook and get daily emails with fantastic thought provoking material straight from Lou.

4 GOODe Thoughts:

Hmmm, my 8th grade pre-algebra teacher ruined math for me as well. And, she's still ruining math at the high school level for students now (my step-brother has her). It's really sad considering Paoli's had an awesome math teacher in Mr. Stuckwisch for years but by the time he got us we were already doomed. Anyway, I was like you until a few years ago I decided to take the classes that are required before you can sit for your real estate appraisers license (I finished the classes but never took the state exam). The classes were FULL of difficult math. But I quickly realized that if I put my mind to it I was actually pretty good at it.

I ended up passing with one of the highest scores in the class & I went on and passed my college math class with an A (after having taken it online & had to "teach" myself). It's definitely an empowering feeling!

As for excel, well I've been an excel geek for years now. I don't use it much anymore so there's a lot I've forgotten, but I love the program.

Glad that your doing so well with the FPU. Money can destroy a marriage just about faster than any other thing I can think of. I've witnessed it happen to people we know & I know the strain that financial struggles has often placed on us. Being debt-free & in control of your finances is one of the best freeing feelings in the world. So kudos to you guys for taking this step to solidify your marriage even more!

There is now proof about just how much our elementary teachers influenced us in math (mostly girls). I'm one of those "bad in math" girls too. You've given me hope, CG!!

It is amazing how influential teachers can be isn't it...

Good for you Terra!

Hmmm, my 8th grade pre-algebra teacher ruined math for me as well. And, she's still ruining math at the high school level for students now (my step-brother has her). It's really sad considering Paoli's had an awesome math teacher in Mr. Stuckwisch for years but by the time he got us we were already doomed. Anyway, I was like you until a few years ago I decided to take the classes that are required before you can sit for your real estate appraisers license (I finished the classes but never took the state exam). The classes were FULL of difficult math. But I quickly realized that if I put my mind to it I was actually pretty good at it.

I ended up passing with one of the highest scores in the class & I went on and passed my college math class with an A (after having taken it online & had to "teach" myself). It's definitely an empowering feeling!

As for excel, well I've been an excel geek for years now. I don't use it much anymore so there's a lot I've forgotten, but I love the program.

Glad that your doing so well with the FPU. Money can destroy a marriage just about faster than any other thing I can think of. I've witnessed it happen to people we know & I know the strain that financial struggles has often placed on us. Being debt-free & in control of your finances is one of the best freeing feelings in the world. So kudos to you guys for taking this step to solidify your marriage even more!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More