Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Super Mommy Secrets: Put a sock in it... er on it



As some of you may know, I have had this incredible pain in my neck for the last couple days... and, I ain't talkin' about Puddie ;)

I think I slept on it wrong, whatever that means... seriously, why doesn't our body wake us up and say yo... sleepin' beauty, roll over or you are going to be sorrrrrryyyyy.

Nope. Instead, I haven't been able to sleep for the past two nights because of this little kink that has morphed into everything from a headache to a whole body ache. Tylenol doesn't help. Motrin doesn't help.

And, what do I do? Whine.

It hurts.

I'm a busy mom of a three-year-old with deadlines, house repairs and holidays.

It hurts.

I'm busy.

It HURTS!

I'm tired.

You get the point.

So, after all that, I did find a little relief... What helps, you ask?

My Super Mommy Secret is simply to put a sock in on it.


I don't have a heating pad... don't ask me why... I have been asking myself that question a lot until I pulled this little trick out of my hat.

You need 1 old sock, 2 cups rice and an optional jar or glass.


Place the sock in the jar and fold over the lip of the jar to make filling it easier.


Add rice


Now tie a knot in the sock and pop 'er in the microwave for 1 minute.

Carefully --think McDonalds hot coffee careful-- remove the heat sock from the microwave and apply to muscle ache.

Tah Dah... relief.

Repeat heating as necessary.

All is finally well... except that now I smell like rice...just sayin'



Works for me Wednesdays
Photobucket

18 GOODe Thoughts:

You can buy what my grandma has always called "pillow-ticking" at a fabric store. Cut it into 2 squares/rectangles approx. the size you want your heat bag to be & sew them together all around except for leaving a small opening on 1 side. (You'd be sewing it with the outside of each square facing the outside of the other square so that when you're done it's wrong-side-out. Then turn it right-side-out before filling). Then fill the bag with rice (it's best to use regular rice - not minute rice). Hand stitch the opening closed & you have a very durable & reusable hot or cold pack. If you use it for a cold pack, you can't use it for a hot pack, but it can be used as either or & repeatedly. We keep one in the freezer at all times. Just store it in a ziplock baggie & it's ready to be used any time. If you want it as a heating pad, just warm it as you do with your sock one. These are GREAT!!! (And they make great gifts too!)

Of course, in my house, a kink in the neck that lasts more than a couple days would mean a trip to see our friendly chiropractor :)

Hope you get to feeling better!

I love these rice filled socks. I used them when I was in labor.

One year for Christmas I made a few of those, except in the shape of collars that you lay across your shoulders. I figured they'd probably get thrown out! but I was surprised to see that even my son-in-law USED the thing and loved it!!

And might I add, if it doesn't get better really fast, the chiropractor could be a lot of help for something like that. I had the same thing when I decided to fall asleep on the sofa with my head resting on the arm rest!! How stupid is that! Anyway, all better, as I hope you are. Good idea for the rice sock. Very helpful. :-)

How many times can you reheat that thing? Will it get really dried out and the rice turn to dust? Or scorch when it's heated?

Seriously, Cris, you need to start training that daughter of yours up right. She's just at the right age to start telling her that a very important part of being a good daughter is giving back rubs and foot massages. If you start that line of thinking earlier enough, they'll buy it! BabyD likes to scratch my back before bed time.

BigD, I've got family members that have had theirs for years & it still works just fine. We only use ours for ice packs, but I think they last a long, long time.

My sister made me one with different material a few years back and it is wonderful! I hope your soon feeling better! That's no way to get through a holiday. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Blessings,
Jill

I have a few of these babies. One is collar-shaped and smells like lavender (I don't think it's rice inside, but I'm not sure what it is). My other two are filled with corn (NOT popcorn - tho that would be fun in the microwave!). I used to go to bed with one every night in the winter. Now we use to to warm my hubby's freezing feet. Nothing like it!

Don't know why but I have never heard of that rice cure. I thought you were going to eat it. My is a gel filled pad I keep in the freezer but you can put in microwave
Glad you feel better

I totally thought you were going to say...

Waht do I do? I WINE instead of WHINE.

That usually works for me :)

LOVE our rice packs! You can also stick them in the freezer for when Miss Add or anyone else has a boo-boo. PS! Might try ice on your neck too. Cold brings inflammation down better than heat, even though the heat feels soooooo good! Take this from the family who has had its share of pain.

p.s. I love the way the rice smells when it comes out of the microwave!

Cris,
For some reason I'm also prone to sore necks. The best investment I ever made was a foam pillow with gusseted (sp?) edges. I got it on sale at Kohl's (hard to believe Kohl's had a sale, right) and it was the best $30 I ever spent. I've also used the rice packs and had luck with them, but a good, old fashioned heating pad and hot water bottle works well. I've never visited a chiropractor but have a good friend who is one and said that a good adjustment would fix me right up. Too bad she lives over an hour away!

If it's any consolation, you didn't appear to be in pain today. You hide it well! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone!! I am feeling much better now... the rice hit the spot :)

I've made many of these over the years as they make excellent gifts!

Thanks everyone!! I am feeling much better now... the rice hit the spot :)

LOVE our rice packs! You can also stick them in the freezer for when Miss Add or anyone else has a boo-boo. PS! Might try ice on your neck too. Cold brings inflammation down better than heat, even though the heat feels soooooo good! Take this from the family who has had its share of pain.

p.s. I love the way the rice smells when it comes out of the microwave!

I have a few of these babies. One is collar-shaped and smells like lavender (I don't think it's rice inside, but I'm not sure what it is). My other two are filled with corn (NOT popcorn - tho that would be fun in the microwave!). I used to go to bed with one every night in the winter. Now we use to to warm my hubby's freezing feet. Nothing like it!

Cris,
For some reason I'm also prone to sore necks. The best investment I ever made was a foam pillow with gusseted (sp?) edges. I got it on sale at Kohl's (hard to believe Kohl's had a sale, right) and it was the best $30 I ever spent. I've also used the rice packs and had luck with them, but a good, old fashioned heating pad and hot water bottle works well. I've never visited a chiropractor but have a good friend who is one and said that a good adjustment would fix me right up. Too bad she lives over an hour away!

If it's any consolation, you didn't appear to be in pain today. You hide it well! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More