Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Gooey Goodeness: Chicken Enchiladas

Well tonight was the first test for a FREEZE-O-RAMA dish...

Truth be told I think I would have cried if it didn't go well.



But, we will never know because the Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas were so yummy! Yay!

So to celebrate, I thought I'd share the recipe.

This one comes from Gooseberry Patch's Best Casseroles.



If I was forced at gunpoint to choose my favorite GP cookbook, this would probably be it... but we don't need to get violent so put the gun away ;)



I took a gamble on this recipe because we had not had this version before.



I started out with my chicken.

Side Note: All ingredients listings will be for a single batch, however in the pictures you are seeing double... Now if you start seeing triple that is on you...and your glass of wine;)



I then sprinkled my chicken liberally with the best stuff on earth... Lawry's seasoned salt.


 

Meanwhile my blender and I started a fight. We typically don't get along, but that is another story.

When I added my cream of chicken soup, I quickly realized she was no match for my double batch.

Normal folks would just add 2 cans and 1/2 carton of sour cream, but I had to fit 4 cans and way more than a dollop of Daisy--a wallop you could say ;)



Then came a can of chilies. I just realized that the Spanish word for mild is suave... lol! Puts a whole new meaning to my hair care line.



Then a tsp of Ground Cumin. I heart ground cumin. It is one of my favorite spices.



You blend up all of those ingredients and you make a mess if you try to cram too much into your blender...just sayin'



Then you take 1/4 cup chopped onion...



And mix it with 3 oz. softened cream cheese and 2 cups of your prepared chicken. Mix'er up!



You put a dollop of the cream cheese mixture on a tortilla and wrap it up Taco Bell style.



And you put it to bed nice and snug in a 9 x13 casserole dish. (Note: you are seeing 1/2 of one batch here... gotta switch it up to keep ya on your toes!)



Then pour your blender mixture over the top. This will make for a VERY soupy enchilada. If you would prefer less liquid I would cut back to 1 can of cream of chicken soup.



Then sprinkle with cheese. This is my SAD attempt at grated Velveeta. (I am on a Velveeta kick.) Next time I will just cube it and plop on top. Regardless, it all melted wonderfully.

Now here is where I froze it. And then today I let it thaw on the counter and asked Puddie to throw on some forgotten olives (on the enchiladas--not himself. You have to be very specific with Puddie. That crazy guy is liable to do anything.) and then pop it in the oven when I left work for home.
.

And THIS is what I got to come home to!



Yum-mo!



And this bowl was the only dish I had to clean up ;) Mommy score!

Chicken Enchiladas--4 out of 5 stars

3 GOODe Thoughts:

Whoa...those enchiladas look fantastic and we love the addition of the olives! Thanks for sharing some Gooseberry love too, Cris. We appreciate it!

They were delish--and great for lunch today as well ;)!

They were delish--and great for lunch today as well ;)!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More