Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Glistening Strawberry Salad


So, this may not be the prettiest picture, but this little dish was a big hit with the family. It seems like forever since I have posted a recipe from my "cooking through an entire cookbook series"-- Goode & Gooseberry Patch Project.


But this little gem--Glistening Strawberry Salad-- just so happens to be one I can check off my list ;)


I made this over Christmas in lieu of my mama's cranberry salad...


You start out by dissolving strawberry jello in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.


Now add 10 oz of thawed sweetened strawberries


and 8 oz of crushed pinneapple


Mix 'er up and strain out the fruit... now I had to improvise since we had misplaced the strainer... so I used a splatter screen.

Sometimes a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do... just sayin'


Now take 1 cup of the juice and reserve it.


Return the rest of the juice back to the fruit


And pour the mixture into a sprayed 9 inch pan. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour to set.


Now, go get some patience and REALLY wait for it to set. 

I was fresh out--since it was midnight on Christmas Eve and I was tired...

So, I didn't quite wait long enough...


I took 1 cup sour cream


and added it to my reserved juice...


Pretty! 

And, surprisingly VERY tasty... 

Now prepare to pour on top of your "set" fruit mixture...


WAIT... it isn't set yet... that little voice that is telling you "it'll be alright" isn't your friend...


Now see... I told you...

Not so pretty anymore, huh?

Ahh, it'll be alright ;)


A little prettier... but still not what it could have been if you had just waited... no Martha points for you today ;)

Anyhoo, I bet it still tastes pretty yummy...


Enjoy!


Photobucket

9 GOODe Thoughts:

I am also glad you found me! Looking forward to seeing recipes you post!! :)

I love jello and will definitely be trying this.

This comment has been removed by the author.

I think it looks amazing! Love jello, and red has always been my favorite.

It sounds delicious and your photos are the best!

It sounds delicious and your photos are the best!

I am also glad you found me! Looking forward to seeing recipes you post!! :)

I can imagine this was really tasty! I'd like to make a suggestion (I hope you won't mind). Since you're adding strawberries (which have very little pectin), and also adding pineapple (which has the enzyme bromelain, which actually breaks down gelatin), it would probably be good to additional unflavored gelatin to your recipe. A little cornstarch would also work, although it might make the gelatin a little cloudy. These things will help your dish set faster and more solidly. :)

Thanks so much for the tips Steve!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More