Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

It's a GOODe Life: 12 GOODe Years and Counting


Almost 14 years ago I met my heart's desire at a Steak n Shake one evening. All the girls were talking about this awesome Mikey guy and he was suppose to be absolutely dreamy.


Truth be told, I wasn't too interested.

I was a fish out of water... first generation college student ripped from the comfort of small town america and trying to navigate life as a freshman in a much bigger school and city. This Mikey guy was smooth and very popular with the ladies... I was a no-nonsense type of gal (and still am... just sayin') and not interested in this player...

He wasn't too interested in this overly opinionated strong-willed chick either.


God, on the other hand, had something entirely different in mind.

By October of my freshman year, Mikey asked me out on a date and I accepted, after we learned there was a lot more to each other over a retreat one weekend.

We would talk for hours on end and then talk more. It was so amazing to meet someone who already seemed to be a part of my soul. I remember thinking how my time with Mikey felt like time with my family. He fit into my life in a way that no other friend or boyfriend ever had. He genuinely wanted to know who I was and I could tell that he liked me for me--not who he wanted me to be and I felt the same way about him.

By the end of that first date we had talked through the night sitting in the campus parking lot. As the time for the sun to rise approached, Mikey rushed us to a nearby golf course so that we could watch the sunrise together over a bottle of Welch's Grape Soda.

When the date drew to a close, Mikey leaned over and said four little words that set the course for our life together...


"I'm scared of you"

Just what a gal who was quickly fallin' in love wants to hear, right? ;)

He went on to explain how we had a connection that was much different that anything he had experienced before and that it scared him... which was exactly what I loved about him... he told it like it was... no pretense.

I was hooked.



We went on dating until I made what could have been the defining mistake of my life. That winter, I too got scared. I decided things were moving too fast and broke it off... for a whole 24 hrs.

I spent that eternity bawling to my mom on the phone that I needed my best friend, but that I had just broke up with him!


So, I called him and told him the same thing. He came to comfort me --the girl who crushed him-- because he loved me. We spent hours talking and decided that if we got back together it would have to be forever because this breakin' up stuff was too hard on us.


And, with that we were pre-engaged in February, engaged in July and married the following May.


12 years ago today, I married my best friend in life.


Life after marriage wasn't always bliss. Turns out that Disney had been doing some major spin on that whole "Happily- Ever- After" campaign. Two miscarriages and the need for a lot of growing up took its toll in our early years. God knew what he was doing though ;) After lots of prayer and some time, we woke up and realized what a GOODe thing we had :)


Eventually we grew up and together and now have a solid foundation, friendship and partnership after lots of love, tears and hard work.


9 years in, we made the decision, by the grace of God, to bring Miss Add into this world.


Over these past 3 years, God has continued to teach us what marriage, family and parenting is all about through GOODe times, bad times, easy times and really difficult times.

This isn't my happily-ever-after and truth be told, I wouldn't want it to be... Something can be said for experiencing the good and bad in life. It makes you stronger and it solidifies your bond.


After you add it all up, I have to tell you, I am forever grateful that I get the opportunity to spend my life with such a GOODe man.


I heart him :) 

16 GOODe Thoughts:

Loved seeing all the pics, Cris! :) Happy anniversary!

What an an absolutely beautiful love story! Thanks for sharing the pics :) Happy Anniversary!

Such a sweet post. Happy Anniversary! (Love the term "pre-engaged," too!)

What did ya hafta go and make me cry for?
What a sweet, loving post!
I love the line: "This isn't my happily-ever-after and truth be told, I wouldn't want it to be... Something can be said for experiencing the good and bad in life. It makes you stronger and it solidifies your bond."
I so agree!
What a lovely testimony!
Thank you, Cris!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

Awww... how cute. Happy Anniversary!

Happy Anniversary, Cris!! I loved this post! It's the fact that I admire you because you've made something great because of all the hard work and ups and downs you've had to go through. In my opinion, that's what marriage is all about. None of us have the "happily ever after" or the perfect marriage. I agree with you, not too sure if I would want that either. You're such a GOODe lady, Cris!

Happy happy anniversary!!!
It's wonderful to be married to your best friend!!!
I always have told my kids, that you marry your best friend!!!

This comment has been removed by the author.

Awww, what a great story. That's what real romance is about. :)

Aaawwww...Cris,you made me cry with your beautiful story. Happy Anniversary to both of you! Your little princess is very lucky to have a parents like you. Hugs to you dear!♥

That is beautiful, ya'll are such a cute family and your story brought a little bit of tears to my eyes, it was like reading a chick flick :)
Have a great day
http://mrsphilipswithonel.blogspot.com/

Aaawwww...Cris,you made me cry with your beautiful story. Happy Anniversary to both of you! Your little princess is very lucky to have a parents like you. Hugs to you dear!♥

Happy Anniversary, Cris!! I loved this post! It's the fact that I admire you because you've made something great because of all the hard work and ups and downs you've had to go through. In my opinion, that's what marriage is all about. None of us have the "happily ever after" or the perfect marriage. I agree with you, not too sure if I would want that either. You're such a GOODe lady, Cris!

What did ya hafta go and make me cry for?
What a sweet, loving post!
I love the line: "This isn't my happily-ever-after and truth be told, I wouldn't want it to be... Something can be said for experiencing the good and bad in life. It makes you stronger and it solidifies your bond."
I so agree!
What a lovely testimony!
Thank you, Cris!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

What an an absolutely beautiful love story! Thanks for sharing the pics :) Happy Anniversary!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More