Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Goode Words of Wisdom: Favorite Quotes

I just love a good quote.  It is like a natural high... when you hear something that is just soo true and said so well.  There are funny quotes and powerful quotes.  Then there are quotes folks wish they never uttered... but we won't go there.

I remember growing up with...


"If it was easy anyone could do it" 

That usually followed something I didn't want to do or thought I couldn't do... Dad on the other hand thought there was nothin' we kids couldn't do...

"No pain, no gain"

Ugh.  I hated this one.  It was the mantra for everything from french braids, pitchin' hay bales to exercise... speaking of which I never though it fit exercise-- technically if this were true... exercise should not be painful--it should be comfortable since you don't want to gain, you want to lose. 

These days I use a few everyday quotes like:

"Pull your big-girl panties up and get over it"

Now mind you I have used that one for years... pre-Monkey.  But I am sure she will hear it from time to time. I am not much of a wallow-er... and don't have much patience for it. I gotta DO SOMETHING when I am not happy and most days I feel like others should do the same...lol 

Aunt Lou made fun of me the other day when Add was fussin' about spilled Mac n Chz and I told Addie "Well, do somethin' about it"... and ya know what, she did and crisis was over.  We could have set there bawling all night long... but no need.  We pulled our big girl panties up (errr... diaper) and got over it.

"Attitude is everything"

This one is one I try to remember no matter what. I really believe we can all be self-fulfilling prophecies and I don't know about you, but if I am going to be creating my own destiny--I am gonna make it positive, not negative.

What is a good quote blog without a few favorite scriptures?
 

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give
you the desires of your heart.-Psalm 37:4


This is mine and Mike's verse.  We found it shortly after we started dating and it has always rang true.
 
Let your conversation be always full of grace,
seasoned with salt, so that you may know how
 to answer everyone.-Colossians 4:6

Ahh, to aspire to conversations full of grace. I love this verse.  Maybe it is the cook in me but the reference to seasoned with salt is so perfect.  It doesn't say doused in salt or salt-free... it says seasoned.  And every cook knows that means balance...relevant to the dish (or conversation). No one likes a dish that is too salty and no one is overly fond of bland food. 

Excuse me while I put away my soapbox now...

Now where were we, oh yeah--
Some of our favorite quotes outside of the family are:

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."-Harry S. Truman

All I can say is AMEN. This is one of those tried and true statements. I love working with people who agree with this statement.  It truly is amazing and so cool to influence positive change.

"When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself." - Wayne Dyer

This is another very true statement. I would extend this to say, if you want to learn about a person, listen to how they talk about (and treat) others.  It is likely they talk about you the same way...positive or negative.

"Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing."-Mother Teresa

Last but not least, Mother Teresa.  I could write all the quotes she is known for.  What an amazing human being. I once listened to a speaker talk about meeting her.  It was an amazing to listen to how Mother Teresa touched her life. 

As for the quote, I believe everyone needs love. The man on the street, the lady at the front desk and the executive in the big office. I don't buy into the thought that one person is more important than another. Truth be told, a smile might make someone's day.  I know it has made mine before. There are no little people and important people.  Everyone is important.  God took the time to make every single one.

Boy that got deep fast...

Off to burn my soapbox and jump on El.

Nite!

0 GOODe Thoughts:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More