Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, August 2, 2010

GOODe GOODeNESS: Zucchini Bars



Every family vacation mom would bake up all kinds of travel food for the road trip. The staples were always baked "fried" chicken for the cooler and this... zucchini bars. Yum.


I have asked for this recipe so much over the years that Mom included it in a cookbook she made for me... full of all those recipes I call her all the time for ;)


So I started with my zucchini. I peeled it and shredded it up.


I did it the old fashion way... due to my spat with my food processor. We won't talk about that.


I took 2 cups for my recipe.


Then... like the FREEZE-O-RAMA mama that I am, I froze up the rest of my zucchini for future zucchini fun.


Now, where were we?


Grab 4 eggs... my new bloggy pal, Lana, taught me this EGGS-cellent tip: Use every other egg in the carton to keep it balanced and prevent any humpty dumpty action during travel time from the fridge.

Speaking of Humpty Dumpty... did you know that the nursery rhyme never calls Ole Humpty an Egg?!?


Anyhoo... take for of those puppies and crack 'em open and beat 'em up... it is ok... promise ;)


Now, toss your zucchini, eggs and 2 cups sugar (or 3/4 Splenda and 1 1/4 Sugar)


1/2 tsp Baking Soda... or Sodee as my family would call it ;)


1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts


2 1/2 Cups Flour, 1 Cup Canola Oil and 2 tsp (or maybe a little lot more ;) ) Cinnamon


Mix 'er up and throw her in a "greased" pan... or you can just use my friend Pam ;)


Bake at 350 degrees until the toothpick comes out clean ;) Then cool on a rack.


Let's whip up some icing now... otherwise known as Heaven in a Bowl ;) Start with 1/2 a Tub of Whipped Cream Cheese... swoon ;)


1 tsp Vanilla... I was THIS close to using almond extract... but nostalgia brought me back from the edge ;)


2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar (and 1/2 Stick of Softened Butter--which I forgot to take a picture of)


Whip it up and try to keep your fingers out of the bowl. 

Try. 

You will fail, but you have to try.


Then put the topping on the...um... top.


Now, go a little nutty and sprinkle with some nuts.


And I wonder why I am not losing weight this summer... 


Come be bad with me ;)


Psst! Don't forget to go and comment on my State Fair post to win 4 free State Fair Tickets!




Blessed with Grace


Photobucket

9 GOODe Thoughts:

That looks fabulous! Yummo, I'm going to have to try that!

Thanks for the shout! I think I am spreading OCD ;-) Your bar recipe is, or should be, printing as I type this. Wish I had some Zuchs out in the garden. I may have to go out to a neighbor's and swipe me some!

hahaha that last little sentence made me giggle
:)
those bars look worth the caloric intake haha:)

xoxo
bB

Oh, you're such a bad influence!! lol Those look delicious and the recipe couldn't have come at a more perfect time!!! :-) Thanks.

Yummmmm....one of the ONLY ways to get me to eat Zucchini! I honestly can't remember a single family vacation without these...one of my favorites...I never did like cold chicken! haha

Love ya!

I love your pictures and the finished product looks delicious!

Yummy looking bars!!
Maybe I'll have to bake up a batch tomorrow. I need to keep spoiling this son of mine while I can. One more week, and he'll be gone for 2 years.
Thanks for sharing :)

That looks fabulous! Yummo, I'm going to have to try that!

Thanks for the shout! I think I am spreading OCD ;-) Your bar recipe is, or should be, printing as I type this. Wish I had some Zuchs out in the garden. I may have to go out to a neighbor's and swipe me some!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More