Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch...


Miss Add is in love with the Grinch, or rather the GRRReeench-- think cutest southern drawl ever ;)

She's always asking me why he is sad or why he is grumpy?



But, when she saw this dude at Kohl's, she knew she wanted him... 

"Because the Grrreeench needs a friend Mommy, and I love him."

Well that settled it. 

I heart that Kohl's gives the $5 to charity and I walk away with a life lesson from my little life coach.

Ya see, I have been hearing about lots of grinchish behavior lately and it tends make me a little grumpy.

Let's back up a minute to explain...

Truth be told, I think for whatever reason, there are a lot of us who are in an especially GOODe Holiday mood (pre-grinchiness) these days... way more so than in recent years. 

Perhaps I am biased in my thinking because I am living with a 3 year old who wakes up every morning and asks if it is Christmas, belts out Jingle Bells on the spot and is overjoyed at the sight of a snowman.

Regardless, I think all of our holiday cheer may be a little rough on some folks... 

I mean why else would a simple Facebook game where folks share their memories, love and appreciation for each other ruffle so many feathers... 

If you haven't heard, Facebook has this game friends play. Where you ask your friends to:"Send me a number between 1 and 1000 in my inbox and I'll make my status about you according to whatever the number is." Then you post the number with something you think or feel about the person. 

The game grew like wildfire. 

Facebook was flooded with all of these number-coded uplifting posts that apparently upset some folks... due to the inconvenience of seeing so many of them instead of the usual Facebook banter in their home feeds. 

It seems to me that the moment some momentum of connection or enjoyment occurs, the trite neigh-sayers enter the room and squash all this none-sense--as if all their objections are any more original than the aforementioned games. 

But, Cris--it is clogging up the precious Facebook feed with too many positive messages. 

Really? 

What, are you missing... all the late breaking Farmville posts? 

Or wait, I'd much rather hear how Sally spilled her coffee or how Bobby is at Olive Garden right now or how Jimmy is mad at his boss....

Now, truth be told, I personally didn't see a single post complaining--unlike a large portion of the folks participating... so kudos to my friends! I knew you were GOODe people ;)

And, if you are one of my friends and you posted a complaint post, this obviously isn't directed towards you, since I didn't see it... but, if you are still with me after the last couple paragraphs, can you please reread them again...just sayin'

While I know --you-- dear reader would never do such a thing, there were apparently enough grinches out there to ruin it for many others and that makes me grumpy. 

See how grinchiness spreads???

I think this is really bugging me because I strongly believe that words are powerful. 

Studies have shown it takes 15 positive exchanges to off-set a single negative. 

15! 

The game on facebook is building people up and it is helping them see themselves through others eyes. It is fun at the very least and could be powerful and uplifting at best. It might be the only kind word someone hears all day or heck all month... and I just don't get why that kind of positive thing is bothering people...

I mean the bells at the Salvation Army buckets drive me bonkers, but they are there for a good reason and I still stop to give them my money just the same. I certainly don't go telling people to stop donating because I personally don't like the constant ringing of bells...just sayin' 

I don't get it...

That is unless your heart is 3 sizes too small... like a certain green fellar I know.



And if that is the case, my little life coach says "The Grrreeench needs a friend Mommy, and I love him." 

And you know what, me too. I love ya dag-gone it... and if you'd reconsider and send me a number between 1-1000, I will post your number below in my blog comments (as to not clog up any Facebook feeds) with a comment about you and ya might see what fun it can be.

Same goes for you non-grinches out there. Send me a number.

Note: You don't have to disclose your grinch or non-grinch status. Miss Add and I will love you just the same.

For all you who want to play for yourselves on Facebook, my pal Terra came up with a great idea to post one post and just add comments within that post with all the numbers... again, avoiding upsetting feeds. This game is a fabulous way of sharing a little online joy in my opinion ;)

Now, if you have no clue what I am ranting about, just tune me out for now... but tune back in for more yummy recipes to come real soon ;)


Photobucket

8 GOODe Thoughts:

Well, you totally lost me when you started about Facebook. I'm not on Facebook. BUT, I'm not so sure that Mr. Grinch has a heart three sizes too small. Just look at that cute smile! And see how perceptive little Miss Add is! :-)

I have to agree with Cranberry Morning!
I do not facebook either, and more than likely never will.
I do not have the time.
(I would have to say that any number I would pick, would be number 3 , in honor of Add :))
It seems like more and more people are forgetting how to be happy.

I agree with you on the negative comments about the numbers game. I actually started noticing a couple months ago that there are some REALLY angry people on Facebook and they can get pretty mean and nasty. That being said, there are also some really awesome people on there and things such as the numbers game give them a voice. I loved the comments made about me. They made my day. So, for all you grinchies out there, try it before you gripe about it...someone's nice words about you may just make your day too! May your heart grow three sizes! :) Merry Christmas!

Miss Add is one wise little girl! Brains and beauty...what a combo!!

#3 When I think about blogging and all the blessings it has brought into my life, I instantly think of you. I dare say if it weren't for blogging I would have NEVER met you. Your commitment to your family inspires me so. That and you always have the BEST music playing!

I think it is adorable that Addie wants to be the Grinch's friend. it's amazing how their little minds work.

#3 When I think about blogging and all the blessings it has brought into my life, I instantly think of you. I dare say if it weren't for blogging I would have NEVER met you. Your commitment to your family inspires me so. That and you always have the BEST music playing!

I agree with you on the negative comments about the numbers game. I actually started noticing a couple months ago that there are some REALLY angry people on Facebook and they can get pretty mean and nasty. That being said, there are also some really awesome people on there and things such as the numbers game give them a voice. I loved the comments made about me. They made my day. So, for all you grinchies out there, try it before you gripe about it...someone's nice words about you may just make your day too! May your heart grow three sizes! :) Merry Christmas!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More