Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Italian Stuffed Chicken with GOODe Marinara and Angel Hair Pasta

Miss Add Update: Miss Add is feeling MUCH better and knock on wood... no one else is sick. Looks like it was just a 24 hr thing that has been going around. Thanks for all your well wishes.



Last night I made something a little fancy... Italian Stuffed Chicken with GOODe Marinara and Angel Hair Pasta

I haven't been able to cook for a while due to our kitchen being all torn up, but I gots things arranged to where I can get in there and cook and was so tickled that I decided to make a major meal of it.

Puddie says this was the best meal he has ever had in his life.

I told Puddie he was being dramatic.

Puddie said he was serious... said he liked it better than steak and taters.

Then I knew he was both serious AND dramatic ;)

Now this is technically two recipes... so stick with this long-winded double-feature post.

The Marinara was purely a Cris original recipe experiment that turned out amazing and will be replacing many future Ragu jars at this house...just sayin'

The Italian Stuffed Chicken is a modified version of a wonderful little recipe found in my Christmas in the Country Cookbook (Gooseberry Patch).




I didn't have any chicken breast with skin in tact... and all those breasts at the grocery store were running around naked without their skins on, sheesh...kids chickens these days.

I did however find some modest thighs and decided to alter the recipe.

Growing up my family always preferred the dark meat anyhow... and we also always thought it was crazy that city folks would pay a premium for white meat...just sayin' (

Truth be told, I am now one of those premium paying folks... I guess I have learned to appreciate the whole bird... well except for the livers and gizzards...blech... I leave those for my mama.

Anyhoo... whew... I am chatty today... back to the dish.


Take 2 T butter and melt in your skillet.


Now toss in an 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms. I often slice them up myself, but these were on sale and I have enough to do... so, I don't need to be going around needlessly slicing mushrooms...just sayin'


Now, I used my big skillet on this little batch of mushrooms because I remembered Julia says not to crowd the mushrooms or they won't get golden... they'll just steam in their own juices.

I started thinkin' that my mushrooms are never golden... hmmm...

So I used what looked like an entirely too big skillet and....


Golden mushrooms ladies and gentlemen... I heart Julia.


Meanwhile I took 1 cup of shredded mozzarella


1 cup Ricotta


1/2 cup shredded or grated Parm


1/2 cup dried parsley


1/4 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs


I didn't have any Italian bread crumbs so I just added some Italian seasoning to my Panko bread crumbs.


Now I mixed all the cheeses, parsley and bread crumbs together in a bowl.


Then folded in my golden mushrooms and prepared to stuff my chicken before I stuffed my family ;)


First, I greased a 9x 13 pan with Olive Oil 



I have been warned that these dudes may not be worth the $, but so far it has worked beautifully and truth be told, I am really digging it.


Then I took six thighs and gently loosened the skin to create a pocket.


And I took heaping spoonfuls into each pocket


I then sprinkled them with salt and pepper


And finished off by sprinkling them with paprika


Then off to a 350 degree oven they went until they were a toasty 185 degrees inside (around 40 minutes).

Lovin' the meat thermometer my bloggy pal Big D told me about: Oneida Digital Thermometer & Timer.

You can put it in your meat and set it outside of the oven and it beeps to tell you when you have hit your desired temp!


Meanwhile grab 28 oz of crushed tomatoes (mine are from my garden this past summer)


Add in a 6 oz can of tomato paste. Luckily I had some left over from my last sauce disaster attempt.


Toss in 1/4 Cup Olive Oil


1 T Sugar (to cut the acid)


And 1 t Salt... I used 1 T and it was too much IMO... Puddie still says it was awesome... but I'd like to try it with a hair less salt.


Add 3 large cloves or 2 small- minced


Lovin' the garlic press my bloggy pal Leslie told me about. 

Truth be told I have been pretty skeptical about garlic presses... never met one I liked. More mess than they are worth... but Miss Leslie was right. I LOVE it! 


Now chop up a small onion and toss 'er in.


Do the same with a bunch of fresh basil... around 1/3 cup


Now add 1/2 cup Sherry and simmer in a saute pan for about 20-25 minutes... stirring occasionally.

The sauce will thicken up and become this wonderful magical red sauce that will have ya licking your plate... just sayin'


Meanwhile, boil up some angel hair pasta and prepare for greatness...


No words can describe... 


Enjoy!



Tools used in these recipes:
Christmas in the Country Cookbook (Gooseberry Patch)
Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless 12-Inch Skillet with Helper
Bamboo Spoons
Progressive International Measuring Grater
Pampered Chef Prep Bowl Set
KitchenArt Pro 2 Cup Adjust-A-Cup, Champagne Satin Finish
Chef'n Switchit All-Purpose Silicone Spatula, Cherry
The Pampered Chef Kitchen Spritzer #2506
Wilton 9 x 13 pan
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Pampered Chef New Improved Garlic Press
Pampered Chef Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup
Pampered Chef Forged Santoku Knife
Antibacterial Cutting Board
Cuisinart Multiclad Pro Stainless 6-Quart Saucepot with Cover
Pampered Chef Drainer
Tongs
The Pampered Chef Large Serving Spatula #2626
Corelle Dinnerware

Hunk of Meat Mondays


Photobucket

15 GOODe Thoughts:

This look SO delicious. I can't wait to try it! For the marinara, is it 1/4 cup or tbsp of Olive Oil? Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It is 1/4 Cup or 4 T. Enjoy!! You won't be sorry :)

Cris,
This looks awesome! And I have to say I love the humor you interject, so much better than a boring cookbook, lol!
Bernice
http://livingthebalancedlife.com/2010/waiting-for-perfect/

Your recipe looks wonderful. I will sure give it a try. Thank you for sharing and you have a great week.

Gonna have to be on the look out for skin-on chicken! If your mamma doesn't want your gizzards, I'll take 'em!

This looks SO good! I don't do mushrooms, but I'm thinking it would work with a substitution ... broccoli, maybe?

Wow -- this looks like something amazing. It's now on my list :)

What a yummy way to make an everyday ingredient like chicken thighs into something really special!

These recipes look and sound delicious! They are going in my cookbook!
I'm SOO glad that Add is feeling better!!

This looks and sounds delicious. I have to check out the cookbook. I'm new here and see lots of good things. I will enjoy following to see what's next!

My goodness I could just eat every picture in this post! What gorgeous, gorgeous pic's you take! - what kind of camera do you use?

D'lish chicken dish....I can see why your family reviews were HIGH!

Fun to find your blog from Joy in the Kitchen's link to you!

Happy Friday!
~avril :-)

This looks and sounds delicious. I have to check out the cookbook. I'm new here and see lots of good things. I will enjoy following to see what's next!

Wow -- this looks like something amazing. It's now on my list :)

My goodness I could just eat every picture in this post! What gorgeous, gorgeous pic's you take! - what kind of camera do you use?

D'lish chicken dish....I can see why your family reviews were HIGH!

Fun to find your blog from Joy in the Kitchen's link to you!

Happy Friday!
~avril :-)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More