Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Goode & Gooseberry Project: Sweet Potato Crunch

Little sister can cook folks;) Check out her guest post on a family favorite:



Aunt Lou here...

I started making a yummy recipe that I first heard of as Sweet Potato Casserole a few years ago. I tried it at a holiday dinner and was hooked. I insisted the recipe be given to me and declared the following Christmas that this would be my contribution to the meal. I brought it once and now Mikey has declared that it ALWAYS be my contribution. :)

So when Cris started going through the Goode & Gooseberry Project and saw the Sweet Potato Crunch recipe which is almost exactly the same as my Sweet Potato Casserole recipe...she knew I had to make this one.



This is too yummy to pass up...but be prepared. Bring this once and you won't be allowed back without it. Trust me. I've lived it.


This is SUPER simple...start by peeling your sweet potatoes with your sister's new Pampered Chef Peeler.


Then pose with your sister's new Pampered Chef Knife that you will use to chop up the sweet potatoes and listen to her 'lovingly' warn you a million times that the knife is extremely sharp and that you are going to lose a finger. (Note: I did not realize until AFTER the picture below was taken that I didn't have ONE BIT of makeup on...this is your warning and my apology that you have to see this.)


After the sweet potatoes are all chopped up, throw them into the WONDERFUL Pampered Chef MicroCooker.


Cover completely with water and cook in the microwave for about 10 minutes or so until done.
  

Drain. Then grab your Pampered Chef Mix 'n Chop and get to mixin' and choppin'!


Once they are nice and mashed, measure out your 3 cups of sweet potatoes and put into a bowl using this awesome measuring cup! (If you can't tell, I had a blast using all of the fun gadgets Cris brought!)
  

Add in 1 tsp vanilla.


Then 1/2 cup of butter.


And yes, I said butter....not margarine. This is what we had on hand at Michael's when I was gathering up ingredients. I have to say, I didn't realize this recipe could be improved on...but I think this might have just done it.


Back to the recipe...add in 1/2 cup of sugar.
  

Next, grab a wisk and beat 2 eggs.
  

Add to the mix and combine all ingredients thoroughly with the neat-seriously fits every purpose-spatula your wonderful sister brought and you hope you are getting for Christmas. *hint hint*


Then pour into a greased casserole dish.
  

Set aside and get ready to have fun making the topping! Start with 1 cup of packed brown sugar. 


(BTW, softened butter is SO much easier to deal with than melted butter for this part. Just an FYI from my own trial and error.) Add in 1/2 cup of softened butter...I think I have found a new cooking best friend. 


Next is 1/2 cup of flour.


The Gooseberry Patch recipe says that the pecans are optional. I, however, say they are a requirement! It makes it SOOOO yummy! Trust me. Add in 1/2 cup...seriously, do it now. You will thank me later.
  

Now for the fun part! Grab hold and start blending with your hands. Go ahead! Have fun with it! It's ewwy and gooey and so much fun to play with...I mean, mix together.



 Once you are done playing mixing it together, you have this nice texture for the topping.


Sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture.


 Bake at 350 for approximately 25-35 minutes depending on your oven. And wah-lah! Yummy deliciousness that is served with dinner, but has the sweetness of dessert! YUM! Enjoy!




2 GOODe Thoughts:

I made this recipe for thanksgiving! It's the best!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More