Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Pork Chop Sandwiches w/ a Healthy Helping of Oprah


In honor of Oprah's Vegan Challenge, Puddie and I made pork chop sandwiches (recipe below soapbox moment) tonight and settled in to watch my DVR of her much talked about show.

Much to my dismay, Channel 13 disrupted the entire show with snow news. So, while twitter tweeted away from both ends of the meat vs. no-meat spectrum... I was left to dig around to find out what was said and who said it.

I checked out her site (see link above) and then followed some of the tweet links and found a response from this farmer, this farmer and a spirited post from this farmer all of which shared about the show with a healthy dose of farmer commentary... which I appreciated because as one farmer said on Facebook the other day...

Liberty Swine Farms

When you’re sick – think: Doctor
When you’re sued – think: Lawyer
When it’s tax time – think: Accountant
When you want to know about your food and livestock care, – think: Farmer
Yesterday at 5:28pm ·  · 


Growing up on a farm I have always known that animals have made sacrifices for my family's meals, my transportation and many of the necessities in my life. I have always had a respect for the creatures that make my lifestyle possible.

And, I realize that many have not grown up with the same education.

I have also had the great opportunity to visit many farms of all sizes and have great pride and respect for the people who produce our food while treating animals with ultimate care.

Again, I realize that others have not the same opportunities.

And, yes, I have even been present when animals have transitioned with the utmost dignity from living breathing creatures of God into the nutrition He provides for our families.

And, again, I realize even fewer people have had the same experience.

That is why when Hollywood (or Chicago in this case) decides to serve up their version of our story to the masses, my farmer friends and I get leery.

NOTE: The comments below are in general and not specific to Oprah since I was unable to watch her show today due to Snowmageddon11.


As one large-scale farmer once told me, "This isn't a factory! I have worked in a factory. These are living, breathing creatures that must be treated with individualized attention. This is the opposite of a factory."

Exactly.

Hollywood has no reason to tell it like it is...the complexities of food production aren't sexy (unless you are talking about some of our farm boys...just sayin'), they aren't flashy and they don't fit into nice little sound bites. Given the ultimate sacrifice required in our line of work, the temptation to sensationalize and/or find a bad apple is too much. Nine times out of ten the media fails the food production story.

It isn't all perfect--what is?-- but solutions that involve the generations of farmers at the heart of their field should be a priority over selling an author's latest book...just sayin'

My problem does not lie with those who are curious, vegan, vegetarian or those that dip their toes in those pools from time to time.

I am all for consumer choice. 

So, go meatless on Mondays, but I am going to be serving up a hunk of meat here and I hope you will give me the same respect I give you.

I do hold issue with anyone that insists (or tries to evoke the sense that) our food production is shameful or irreverent which is the furthest thing from my entire life time of experience on farms of all kinds.

It is scary for me to think about what my views would be if I weren't connected with the 2% of people who produce our food. Books and "documentaries" make villains out of a group of people that I have come to know as some of the most thoughtful, brilliant, resourceful, inspiring people I have met.

If something you have read or watched lately has you concerned about your food choices, please get to know some of the great ladies on my sidebar (or here)... THEY are the faces of the people growing and raising your food. And, I assure you they don't have horns and a tail...

Whew... can you imagine what I'd have to say had I been able to watch the show?

Anyhoo... on to some super easy Pork Chop Sandwiches


We like to take pork loins and slice them up for various dishes around the dinner table, like Pork Fried Rice and Aunt Mary's Marynade. It is super economical and one loin can make several dishes.

Tonight we took the last of our loin and sliced 'er up for some lovely sandwiches.


Took some salt


Then some pepper


Then we pounded 'er up until it was about 1/4 inch thick


Then we popped them in a skillet with a couple Ts of heated oil


And flip when golden


Serve up with some mustard only please for me...


Yum!


Enjoy!


(Click on recipe card to print)



Photobucket

13 GOODe Thoughts:

Well, I am Georgia born ( though living in San Francisco for 34 years ) and I do love my pork - barbecue, in beans, gussied up like they do it out here ) and I love vegetables. I wouldn't want to go vegan, however. I do see the PETA videos and I abhor the treatment of animals shown there, without a doubt. I wouldn't mind paying more for my food t see that animals are not abused.

Your recipe looks yummy!

Carmen-
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

I too am horrified at those videos. I am angered at the offender and, if I am being honest, I am angered at the one holding the camera vs. stopping the abuse on the spot or calling the police immediately.

Unfortunately for meat eaters like us, those groups have a much different agenda than helping us find solutions to make sure we are avoiding bad apples. It is in their best interest to identify and exploit those situations (and those animals)rather than prevent them.

Programs assuring the utmost in animal care, if done right, might be a solution to help consumers one day. But I have yet to see a label on the grocery store shelf that does it for me personally.

What I do see on the shelf is a lot of slick marketing and lots of agendas. Regardless, I find comfort in the fact that many animal care programs do exist (for example, Indiana's PQA Plus Program and Certified Livestock Producer Program)and the farmers I know embrace these types of programs wholeheartedly.

As for the price, that is an issue that tugs on my heart strings. I know that you or I can afford to pay a premium and if given a choice that makes sense to me, perhaps I would. But, I also know that there are many who cannot. In Indiana, we have a 10% hunger rate (1/3 of which are children)--which is APPALLING to me. While programs like our Million Meals are helping, keeping protein at a reasonable price is one way we can prevent that number from increasing here.

Thanks again for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts.

P.S. It was yummy :)

P.S.S. I'd love to see your BBQ recipe :)

I think due to Oprah's Vegan Challenge, I'll have two or three of those pork chop sandwiches!!

It's very difficult to get adequate protein in your diet without meat, fish, eggs, etc. And we all know what happens when we're told to eat more and more grains...the same thing that happens to hogs on the farm.

To quote a friend, 'Just Sayin''

Is anyone else tired of Oprah?
You said it, Cris!

Boy, it seems Oprah really hit a chord with people. I've been hearing a lot about her vegan challenge. While I could never live without cheese or yogurt, I could live without meat. So, I'm only doing half the challenge!

I cracked up when I saw you'd make pork sandwiches for her vegan show - not that I've actually ever watched Oprah before (shhhh!). And no, I didn't watch yesterday either.

I'm with you on the choice, although I'm starting to do more things "natural" with the cage free eggs and organic where I can. My next step is to get in touch w/ my friend's farmer who does the cow portions (quarter, half, etc) and start getting my grass fed meat that way. We don't eat meat all the time (homemade pasta and tomato sauce tonight, for example), but when I do, I want to feel good about it.

Thanks for the shoutout! This post really made me hungry!

Hey Cris,
No tv so I didn't see the Oprah show but I have been seeing a lot of folks discussing it on the interwebs.

As a longtime veggie (but, not strictly vegan) for health, environmental and other reasons I have long celebrated keeping in touch with your local farmer. My hubbie's eating habits are about as far from mine as one could get and so we buy meat from local farmers who do the sustainable, grass-fed thing. This year I'm very excited to be joining a CSA and getting to know the people who grow our food.

Thanks for offering another perspective and keeping the dialogue going.

Love hearing all of your choices and that a lot of you are getting to know your farmers :)

That is what it is all about.

I have my personal preferences as well.

I don't do organic. For me, it isn't worth the price.

I occasionally buy my meat from my farmer friends and stock my freezer and have been known to pay a premium to get what I want at the time.

But, I also buy my meat on a budget from Walmart, Kroger and Aldis.

Growing up on a Beef farm, we raised our cattle on pasture and gave them grain when needed--like on days like today where ice is covering their pasture. So, naturally, I prefer the taste and texture of cornfed.

As for eggs, after visiting both a free-range and a caged farm, I wholeheartedly go for regular eggs. It is my personal opinion (after seeing it with my own eyes) that the chickens (and eggs produced) have a better life in the caged facilities. Others have different opinions, and that is cool. That is why I am for choice.

Thank you all for your comments.

Hey Cris,
No tv so I didn't see the Oprah show but I have been seeing a lot of folks discussing it on the interwebs.

As a longtime veggie (but, not strictly vegan) for health, environmental and other reasons I have long celebrated keeping in touch with your local farmer. My hubbie's eating habits are about as far from mine as one could get and so we buy meat from local farmers who do the sustainable, grass-fed thing. This year I'm very excited to be joining a CSA and getting to know the people who grow our food.

Thanks for offering another perspective and keeping the dialogue going.

I cracked up when I saw you'd make pork sandwiches for her vegan show - not that I've actually ever watched Oprah before (shhhh!). And no, I didn't watch yesterday either.

I'm with you on the choice, although I'm starting to do more things "natural" with the cage free eggs and organic where I can. My next step is to get in touch w/ my friend's farmer who does the cow portions (quarter, half, etc) and start getting my grass fed meat that way. We don't eat meat all the time (homemade pasta and tomato sauce tonight, for example), but when I do, I want to feel good about it.

Is anyone else tired of Oprah?
You said it, Cris!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More