Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pioneerella Whoopie Cookie Pies


Oh Dear Reader... I discovered something tonight that can only be described as divine...

Ya see I was perusing my homegirl Ree's site and her Devil Dog's were a calling to me... 

But, truth be told, so was my laziness... (give a girl a break... I have only had 1 diet coke in 48 hrs... just sayin').

Then I remembered that Bakerella had a sandwich cookie that used a cake mix on her site...

So... I decided to combine the easy cookie/cake with the said to be divine icing from Ree's recipe.

Just so you Martha's out there know... morphing PW with Bakerella is definitely a GOODe Thing :)

I give to you Pioneerella Whoopie Cookie Pies...


First up the super easy part. Combine 1 stick of butter, 2 eggs and a cake mix...


And add 1 T of Almond extract... yum


Scoop it out into 24 cookies on a lined cookie sheet.


Bake at 350 degrees until they pass the toothpick test.


And place on a rack to cool.


Now roll up your sleeves because this is a little work, but when the Pioneer Woman tells you this is the best icing she has ever had... um... believe her.

Now Ree's recipe called for 1 Cup of Milk. She used 1 Cup of Half & Half because that is how she rolls. I decided to split the difference. 

I did 1/2 Cup Milk and 1/2 Cup Half & Half (so, would that be Fourth & Three Fourths... Ha! Pardon my cooking humor;) ).


So you take your milk/half and 5 T of flour and stir together over medium heat-- constantly. Think gravy folks.


Keep stirrin' and heatin' until it gets uber thick... brownie batter thick and then remove from heat and cool completely.


Meanwhile, take 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of sugar and beat together.


Once your "gravy" is cool, add 1 T Almond extract.


Now, combine the "gravy" with your sugar mixture... and beat the heck out of it...


It should be the consistency of whipped cream when you are done. 

Place the icing in a gallon ziplock bag.

Now, lick the bowl... do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. 

It is your reward. You made gravy for pete's sake.


Snip the end of your bag and get down to bizness...


The more icing the better...and the messier... but definitely the better...


And top with another cookie...


Beware of the natives...


They might just inhale them... just sayin'


I am sending some to the freezer as we speak... for their protection.


And, my consumption ;)

(NOTE: To print the recipe card only, click on the card and then right click to save or print the card only.)

Shameless Request: We have been selected by Cheerios to be one of four possible Banner Ads on Cheerios.com. You can help us win by going to Cheerios Facebook page and "Liking" them and then going to their PHOTO TAB and our picture (Ad version #2) and telling Cheerios that you like the Pirate Adventure the best!



Photobucket

8 GOODe Thoughts:

Ooooooooh, that looks so yummy! I made a sandwich cookie like this at Christmas that used a can of chocolate frosting in the middle. So yours is so much better. But then the recipe called for rolling in crushed candy canes, which stuck to the frosting and looked ever so Christmasy. Is that a word?

Oh yummy! You hooked me with the words 'almond extract.' I love that stuff!! What a fun treat!

umm...yummy. That's all I have to say about that!

We are going to a friend's house tonight for Karaoke and games...we are all supposed to bring a snack. I was going to cheat and buy something from Wal-Mart, but I think these might be a little more popular! They sound yummy!

i love whoopie pies! thanks for the recipe =) gonna try this next weekend :)

I made PW's devil dogs with the sheet cake & icing yesterday...yum!!

Ooooooooh, that looks so yummy! I made a sandwich cookie like this at Christmas that used a can of chocolate frosting in the middle. So yours is so much better. But then the recipe called for rolling in crushed candy canes, which stuck to the frosting and looked ever so Christmasy. Is that a word?

umm...yummy. That's all I have to say about that!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More