Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, June 7, 2010

GOODe Project: Make My Own Herb Garden (and keep it alive)


I just heart fresh herbs. 

I used to cook with dried herbs all the time but then I experienced cooking with fresh herbs a couple years ago and fell in love!

I had been purchasing my beloved herbs in the refrigerated section at the grocery store and spending a pretty penny on them... until two things happened:

1. The selection got down to slim and pewny pickins
2. The price increased a $1 a pack because my grocer decided to go to an organic only option in the herb section. (Nothing against organic, I just don't like it when premium choices are forced on those of us with a budget.)

So what is a budget conscious gal to do?

Make my own herb garden :) 

Yes, yes... despite my brown thumbs, I have managed to keep my herb garden alive... GASP!

Here is my recipe for herb garden success:
1 old concrete fixture


Add a little cilantro


Anyone got the thyme? ;)


and grab some chives from the back yard :)


These dudes self seeded from a past tried (and failed : / shhh!) herb garden...lol!


I then grabbed a couple pots...


Beautiful Rosemary... how I heart thee.  A great addition to any roast or poultry dish.

This HUGE plant cost me the same amount as one dinky package with three sprigs!


Parsley... Yummy! Great with smashed garlic and blue cheese potatoes!


And Dill... perfect on a baked potato with a little sour cream.


Hmmm... what's the dill? 

I forgot to take a pic of my beloved basil... that kinda puts me in a pickle doesn't it ;P

Give a fresh herb garden a try... it will save you big time buckaroos and anyone can do it...believe me (and my brown thumbs ;) ).

The Girl Creative






Photobucket

18 GOODe Thoughts:

Hi! New follower from Follow me Tuesday☺ I love you photographs!

Hi Cris!
Great job on the herbs!!! Rosemary is my all time favorite....hands down!!!
Wedge some peeled potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, chop up some fresh rosemary and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Pop in the oven at 475, and bake until tender and golden. Turn over the potatoes about every 10 minutes or so.
The best ever!!!
But, you probabaly already know that :)

Have a wonderful day !!

I'm doing the same thing this year, just a bit smaller scale. I'm seeing how it goes this year and then will add more next year.

My basil died in like two days it must have been a bad pland because everything else is fine...

Hello! I am Heather and your newest follower from tag along Tuesday. I really like your blog! Please check out my blog www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com There are lots of freebies right now and there is a Cookie's Kids Gift Card Giveaway with low enteries if you are interested. Thanks! Have a wonderful day!

I hope you will joing my blog rof community too! ~Heather

Is it because I'm a farmer, or I'm too practical? I dunno, but I don't really "get" organic. I just don't understand. It seems elitist to me.

Good luck with your herb garden! I refuse to use fresh herbs when I cook (too much work) so I'm not worrying about them. :)

we just started our herb garden.

I'm a new follower
http://www.bassgiraffe.com/

What a great herb garden! Following you from Tuesday tag along!

Hannah from Life Happens..
http://www.ngowhitcombfamily.blogspot.com/

Hi there! Following from FMBT!
Would love it if you could stop by my blog
http://carriesrambles-carrie.blogspot.com

That is really a great herb garden, I do mine in a box along the fence!

Here from TTA
Love your blog!

Hope you'll come check mine out

http://ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

You must have a green thumb to grow such healthy herbs.

Im here following your blog from FMBT and tuesday tag along.

http://www.mixedthoughts.net/follow-me-back-tuesday-tag-along/

Oh wow, i love herbs too... im wanting to buy some pots and plant some rosemare and dill :)

btw, im jen I joint Follow me back Tuesday on its week 1. i would love to be your new blogger pal. i followed your blog :) pls follow back.

tnx tnx!!

have a lovely day!

-jenskie
http://jennyescano.blogspot.com

Oh wow, i love herbs too... im wanting to buy some pots and plant some rosemare and dill :)

btw, im jen I joint Follow me back Tuesday on its week 1. i would love to be your new blogger pal. i followed your blog :) pls follow back.

tnx tnx!!

have a lovely day!

-jenskie
http://jennyescano.blogspot.com

This comment has been removed by the author.

You must have a green thumb to grow such healthy herbs.

Im here following your blog from FMBT and tuesday tag along.

http://www.mixedthoughts.net/follow-me-back-tuesday-tag-along/

Oh wow, i love herbs too... im wanting to buy some pots and plant some rosemare and dill :)

btw, im jen I joint Follow me back Tuesday on its week 1. i would love to be your new blogger pal. i followed your blog :) pls follow back.

tnx tnx!!

have a lovely day!

-jenskie
http://jennyescano.blogspot.com

I hope you will joing my blog rof community too! ~Heather

Hi Cris!
Great job on the herbs!!! Rosemary is my all time favorite....hands down!!!
Wedge some peeled potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, chop up some fresh rosemary and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Pop in the oven at 475, and bake until tender and golden. Turn over the potatoes about every 10 minutes or so.
The best ever!!!
But, you probabaly already know that :)

Have a wonderful day !!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More