In my quest to tidy up GOODEness Gracious and make it easier to find things, I am going to work on getting FREEZE-O-RAMA tips, tricks and recipes all in one place. Much like I did my recipes the other day.
Coming off a season of canning and preserving the summer's harvest, I am ready to kick FREEZE-O-RAMA back into drive this week to reap its delicious (and housework) rewards! I totally heart OAMC or Once A Month Cooking.
(Psst... Side note: If you want some fabulous canning tips, check out my pals Ott, A and Jen... canning extraordinaries)
So, I thought I'd start off by posting tonight about why I freeze... or chill baby and why YOU can too ;)
- It isn't as scary as people think it is...promise.
- Truth be told, it is super easy... WAY easier than cooking ever night (but not as easy as chicken nuggets and easy mac... just sayin ;) )
- I love having a variety wholesome meal choices at my fingertips.
- I love having those meals with half of the work--including doing dishes ONCE a month!
- I try new recipes far more often when I plan a FREEZE-O-RAMA and therefore find all kinds of new family favorites!
- Did I mention I only do dishes/cooking clean-up once a month?!?
- You can do as little or as much as you want... and you can freeze portions anyway you want... Family size, 1/2 portions, individual portions. I have tons of recipes I used to shy away from because they were more "potluck" style and I didn't want to have a 9x13 pan of a side dish. Now, we can have our "cake" and eat it in multiple portions too ;)
- You can make your non-freezer meals easier to make by freezing chopped veggies, marinades or seasoned ground beef and shaving minutes to hours off of prep time.
- It gives my family a taste of mama even if I am away on business.
- I save TONS on groceries by buying my meat in bulk from Aldis and planning my recipes and ingredients around what is on sale or already in my pantry.
- I spend less time in the kitchen and more time with my family during dinner time.