Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Goode Grief: Holy Gaggle of People, Batman



Against my better judgment, Monkey and I headed out to the Children's Museum today. I have been wanting to take her to see the Barbie Exhibit and today worked out best for our schedule.

Problem is that today was "Free Admission" day.

Sure --sounds all warm and fuzzy... well it was warm. Scratch that-- it was hot. It was hot and packed.

Packed was an understatement.

Turns out this banner was not an advertisement for the Barbie Exhibit...



But rather a visual example of how they expected you to have to stand while pretending like you got to see the Barbie Exhibit.


I knew today would be busy, but I had no idea it would have been the equivalent to walmart announcing they were giving away free groceries...

Holy.

Cow.

I should have known when it took me 1/2 hr to find a parking space. And, once I found a spot I had to go all territorial on the other cars cause folks were seriously gonna take it from me. It was NUTS.

After fighting a good fight to get there... Miss Add, Gilbert and I were a little hopeful that parking was going to be our major challenge of the day.




But then we discovered that there were lines on the ramp to get from level to level.




Long lines that barely moved and took about 45 minutes to change levels...




to then... you guessed it... stand in more lines to try to pretend to do whatever you were trying to do. I mean-- I believe in make believe but sheesh!

There were of course those handful of parents who thought their time was more precious than the rest of us... that they had some sort of reason better than the hundreds of other folks that should entitle them to skip line.

I had news for them... I had a two year old who needed to go potty... and we waited.

We did manage to find a few holes here and there that didn't have shoulder to shoulder people. 




Add got to play with the trains for a little while and she absolutely loved it.




She loved looking at all the train exhibits...

and for this shot she only had to push her way through 10 kids.





After the trains we then stood in line to get up to level two. By the time we got there, Gilbert was tired so we sat for a brief moment to get some rest.




Standing in line for hours on end were made possible by this little guy...




Ya know that moment when packing the toddler bag... the moment of should I pack this or that? This will make it heavier. That won't be needed, will it? ...

Addie's Happy Meal Alvin Chipmunk Toy made the cut... for whatever reason (Divine intervention, maybe?) And THANK HEAVENS it did. She played with Alvin most of the day... while waiting in lines.

Seriously. We could have stayed home with Alvin and had more fun.

Once we made it to Level 2, we discovered Barbie had a whole other long line so we popped in to see some of the dinosaurs.




The dinosaurs turned out to be the hit of the trip.




RAHHHHHEEEERRR!

Thanks Add, I wanted to say that all day--especially to the self-important line skipping parents... rahhheeerrr!

At this point I decided to go ahead and give Barbie a shot. We had waited all that time afterall.



After waiting we finally got up there.




And we got to see a few things.




There were a handful of neat displays at the beginning...




Nostalgia hit.  I had this Barbie van as a kid.




And this pool.... Ahhh Barbie. It feels like we waited a whole day to see you.

Wait, we did.


Once we got through the entry displays, my Mama Bear instincts kicked in.

Some how the very nice librarian-like museum workers turned bouncers didn't give me comfort in dealing with the Beatle-mania- like crowd control.


There was no room to move around and I began to become fearful that if someone yelled fire we were all goners.

That, and I feared if Add happened to get away from me there would be little hope of finding her.

So we left.

As we were leaving they finally began preventing folks from coming in. I ran into a lady in the parking lot and she asked if it was true they weren't letting people in. I told her it didn't matter. That it wasn't worth it. (She didn't listen to me though...lol)

So this experience should have me cursing the very name of the museum, right?

Nope.

I can't wait to take Add back and gladly pay my admission fee so we can enjoy it all the way it was suppose to be enjoyed.

I'm a sucker. I know.

7 GOODe Thoughts:

I really enjoy the Childrens' Musuem, but I would have been angry, frustrated & very ill-tempered if I'd went through what you did. You would think the musuem would limit how many people they allowed in for free admission. Because A) all those free admissions are just that FREE (could be paying customers later if they turned them away & the ones who enjoyed their free trip might return again & pay one day), B)having more people than allowed in a building is against fire code & very unsafe and C) all those free admissions that think the musuem is always that full may never return & may tell others it's not worth going.

Wow! What a day you two had! It made me exhausted just reading your post! lol I have yet to take Rylee to the Children's Museum. I was thinking of taking her on a free admission day, but I think after hearing your experience I will go on a paid admission day instead!

Terra- I TOTALLY agree with you.

We went back today. The guy there said 18,000 people where there yesterday. He said a busy Saturday averages 6,000. CRAZY!

Allison we had so much fun today. Very much worth the price of admission. I know it isn't cheap, but it was a completely different place today. I think we are going to save up and buy a membership so we can go whenever we want.

I would so get a membership too if I were you! I wished I lived closer so I could take Rylee on a regular basis there. I loved going there as a child myself. We have a membership to the Louisville Zoo that we LOVE! Doing things like that as a family means alot, don't you think? I heart nice family outings:)

I'd love to get one to our zoo too... Addie LOVED the zoo last year. That is one great thing about living so close to Indy. (I like Louisville's Zoo better though...shhh! It may have to do with my childhood memories though ;))

I'd love to get one to our zoo too... Addie LOVED the zoo last year. That is one great thing about living so close to Indy. (I like Louisville's Zoo better though...shhh! It may have to do with my childhood memories though ;))

I really enjoy the Childrens' Musuem, but I would have been angry, frustrated & very ill-tempered if I'd went through what you did. You would think the musuem would limit how many people they allowed in for free admission. Because A) all those free admissions are just that FREE (could be paying customers later if they turned them away & the ones who enjoyed their free trip might return again & pay one day), B)having more people than allowed in a building is against fire code & very unsafe and C) all those free admissions that think the musuem is always that full may never return & may tell others it's not worth going.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More