Welcome to GOODEness Gracious

We're cooking up all kinds of GOODe things with a side of life! Come on in and check out our recipes, freezer cooking, super mommy secrets and common sense commentary on the GOODe life.

FREEZE-O-RAMA

Come chill with me, baby, as we cook up a month's worth of family meals in just one day. So come on into my kitchen. We'll give you all the freezer cooking tips, tricks and recipes.

Goode and Gooseberry Patch Project

Join me as I cook my way through Gooseberry Patch's Cookbook--Mom's Favorite Recipes a la the Julie/Julia project.

Super Mommy Secrets

The world is full of Super Moms just like you that make the world go round. From play rooms to board rooms, check out how my Super Mommy friends make it all happen.

It's a GOODe Life

Life is made up of moments. The funny. The ordinary. The frustrating. Join us as we share a few of ours while we live the GOODe life in the hills of Indiana.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hello, My name is Cris

As I am preparing to go to my VERY first bloggy conference, Blissdom, I am reading a lot of blogs and trying to get to know some of the folks that I might meet over the next week.



I don't know a soul (IRL) that is going... so, I figure getting to know some of these lovely ladies via their blogs will have to suffice until I can meet and make some new friends... which is what I hear that Blissdom is all about.

One of the things that has helped me to begin to get to know folks is a popular post many do called 100 Things.

So, I thought that I would do my version of this with a little twist... 10 sets of 10 things.

This is a VERY long post --wayy longer than I usually write and wayyy more information than anyone wants to know. Feel free to skip around and scroll down to anything you are interested in knowing.

1-10     Things folks might notice when they first meet me in real life.
11-20   Things I believe
21-30   Things I heart
31-40   Things I get passionate about
41-50   Things about my spiritual life
51-60   Things about my personal life
61-70   Things about my professional life
71-80   Things about my childhood
81-90   Recipes I heart
91-100 Things I want to know when I meet you at Blissdom.

This sooo could have been a series of posts, but I am running out of time before Blissdom...

So hear goes...

(1-10) Ten Things folks might notice when they first meet me in real life.

1. I am not a sepia tone in real life...shocker, right?



Some may recognize me by my profile pic from Facebook, Twitter, Blog and Business Card... but in reality, I look a little more like this --now minus the bangs:


2. You will likely rarely see me without a diet coke nearby. Seriously. 

3. I talk with my hands... a lot. As a child, I wanted to be a sign language interpreter and I think all that practicing lent itself to a very animated communication style..

4. I am told I can be bubbly on topics I am passionate about and with people I know well. This typically rings true in most professional settings for me too-- most of the time.

5. However, I can be extremely introverted in some social settings. Truth be told, it is really that darn small talk PARALYZES me. It is truly like social stuttering for me. 

I fear it, it hits without warning and I can't just switch it off... 

Which,  I have been told sometimes makes people think I don't like them or that I am not friendly. Nothing could be further from the truth. I really want to get to know you, SERIOUSLY... Ya see, once I get to know you, this stupid, awful feeling goes away and we can be friends and you can get to know the real me (see #4). 

6. I LOVE creative thinking and creative thinkers.

7. I REALLY love blogging. I know this will be a conference about blogging so that is a given... but chances are if you met me in real life outside of a bloggy conference you would probably learn very soon that I heart it and think it can be such a meaningful part of people's lives and a way to help them find their voice.

8. I am a packer. I love to have everything I need with me... on my person. This got worse when I became a mom. 

9. I am not overly (read: at all) organized. Which makes # 8 an issue at times.

10. I'm a gal that is way more comfortable at home, cooking for fam and friends, than out having a big night on the town.

(11-20)  Ten things I believe

11. I believe that Jesus saved me and loves me despite the human that I am.

12. I believe that all people have value. My God didn't make any garbage...just sayin'

13. I believe that no matter what you say you want, it is what you believe about yourself inside that will determine whether or not you will meet your goals.

14. I believe how one treats people says way more about them than the person they are dealing with.

15. I believe that when given the opportunity to build others up to reach their potential, one should do so. We have no reason to fear another's success.

16. I believe those that are eager to criticize, but not willing to be a part of a solution, come from a place of fear, not wisdom.

17.  I believe cookies do not have calories as long as they are served warm from the oven.

18. I believe that no one person has all the answers. One should have mentors and give back by mentoring others.

19. I believe in the healing powers of a long chat with a GOODe friend.

20. I believe that a person will eventually treat you the way you witness them treating others. If they uphold their friendships and respect others, they will do the same in regards to you. If they gossip about others and tear down others in front of you, they will do the same in regards to you.

(21-30)  Ten things I heart

21. This man. He changed my life. He believes in me. He is my heart's desire and I love him. I call him Mike, Mikey, Puddie, GOODe Ole Boy and Michael when he is in trouble.


22. This kid. She also changed my life. She is an amazing beautiful creature that takes my breath away. I call her Monkey, Miss Add, Fred and Addelynn Grace when she is in trouble ;)


23.  My Toshiba Laptop

24. Vera

25. Catching up with my girlfriends.

26. Getting a new cookbook and thumbing through it to mark all the recipes I am going to try.

27. Facebooking/Tweeting with friends.

28. Helping someone find their voice or learn something new.

29. My new (read: almost done) kitchen

30. Staying up late and sleeping in.

(31-40)  Ten things I get passionate about

31. Respect. When someone is disrespectful to me or someone around me, my blood gets pumping. I feel that a waitress should be treated with the same respect as the CEO of a company. 

32. Blogging. I love it. It has transformed my life and the lives of so many of my friends.

33. Social Media. I see and experience the influence it has on my life and others daily.

34. Farming. I grew up on a farm and work with farmers everyday. I have been on farms large and small and have experienced-- and been inspired by-- their innovative nature and dedicated work ethic to their crops and livestock. 

35. Politics in the Pew. Don't like it. REALLY don't like it. Enough said.

36. My daughter and children in general. I feel we have a responsibility to them to help them grow and learn in a safe, warm and positive environment. I don't mean free of failure or criticism. I mean free of the negative seeds that tell them they can't be something or can't do something.

37. Those who aren't being heard. I feel everyone has value, not just the loudest voice or the squeakiest wheel. We are all better off when all ideas are on the table. It is amazing what a group of people can accomplish when they listen to and use all of their assets.

38. My marriage. It is sacred. 

39. Creativity and flexibility. Change is nothing to be scared of, but rather, if met with creativity and flexibility it can often turn out beautifully.

40. Speech/Grammar police. My blood pressure rises when someone's ideas or stories are discounted or shut down when they accidentally misspeak or commit a typo. I'm all for putting our best foot forward, but it drives me bananas to see more value put on technicality than content. 

(41-50)  Ten things about my spiritual life

41. I am blessed to call Jesus my savior.

42. I was baptized at the age of seven at church camp.

43. The 13 years of church camp I attended are some of my fondest memories of my childhood-- as are my youth group days.

44. I was "Sunday School Susie" as a child. Seriously. I went to the fall carnival and entered a sudden death bible trivia contest (hard core- right?) and answered every question in the box--without missing a single question. They ended up giving me the game--box and all-- and sent me on my way.

45. As a teenager I was the poster child for Christian sub-culture. 

46. I have always felt a strong connection to God. Except for a 3 year period in my young adult life where I felt God went silent for a time and the world had its way at tearing apart that sub-culture all around me.

47. My faith was wounded (but not killed) during that time and I have never completely healed from it... I have come close at times, but never completely.

48. I am thankful that God used that silence--as painful as it was-- to change me and the person I was becoming. I am also thankful that He's still working on me.

49. I don't feel like I fit into the church world that I once knew like the back of my hand... and I often wonder if I ever will. 

50. I am in awe of God and the beauty, the creativity and the power He puts into his creations. I feel this often when I look at my daughter.

(51-60)  Ten things about my personal life

51. I married my college sweetheart at the age of 19. 

52. We have been married for almost 13 years. He is my best friend.

53. We waited 9 years (after 2 miscarriages) to have my daughter.

54. I watch way too much TV. Gilmore Girls is my favorite TV series of all time. 

55. I love to cook and don't really like to exercise... I'll wait while you add up that equation.

56. My daughter's laughter is my favoritest sound in the world. (Yes, I know that isn't a word.)

57. My all time favorite date night is dinner at Carinos and a movie with my hubby.

58. I am very close with my parents and my sister.

59.  I love photography. I own a Nikon 5000 and take photos everyday. I am of the small group of people in the world that photograph our food before we eat it. I am ashamed to say I shoot in auto 99.8% of the time. One day soon, I will force myself to learn manual and deserve the awesomeness of my camera.

60. I am a hopeless clutterbug.

(61-70)   Ten things about my professional life

61. I am a freelance writer for a handful of farming magazines/publications.

62. I am also a consultant and facilitator. I totally heart Creative Problem Solving (CPS) and I have seen it work its wonders in the most difficult of discussions and bring about common ground with many different kinds of clients.

63. I often work with women (and some guys too ;))--most of them farmers-- to assist them in learning the basics of getting started in social media and blogging.

64. I used to be a print graphic designer and love to play around in the Adobe Suite. Here is a slideshow of some of my older stuff.

View more presentations from Cris Goode.
65. I truly LOVE all the cool things I get to do for a living and all the great people I get to work with.

66. I created a mission statement a while back after an awesome Smart Talk retreat: 

Cris' Mission:
Because I enjoy living in a world of purpose and passion, I enthusiastically encourage others and problem solve because I am influencial and creative... Just sayin'

67. Now that I am blessed to work from home and be with my daughter, I get the best of both of the Working Mom/SAHM worlds and the corresponding guilt when I am tending to one but not the other. Not complainin', just explainin' ;)

68. I am of the "teach a man to fish" camp.

69. I have been told by many that they can just tell I am doing exactly what I am meant to do and that warms my heart.

70. I enjoy nothing more than an exhilarating brainstorming session. I love creative thinking without limits and turning it into an action plan that helps folks exceed their expectations.

(71-80)   Ten things about my childhood

71. I grew up outside a little town in southern Indiana--Paoli. Home of the Rams, my childhood memories and Paoli Peaks. 

72. I grew up on a small beef cattle (100+ head) farm with my parents and sister. 

73. My sister--four years my junior-- and I were often mistaken for twins as kids and sometimes still are to this day. I don't see it, but it comes up often... especially from random strangers in Walmart.



74. As a child I had an imaginary dog named BoBo. He went everywhere with me and I was adamant that folks recognize his presence and accommodate him. When we moved into our new home, the former owner's dog adopted us... his name? BoBo.


75. My grandma was my best friend growing up. We would talk for hours and take long walks together everyday. I miss not spending that time with her now that I live so far away.

76. I was blessed with the best parents--ever. They taught me that my thoughts mattered and encouraged me to follow my dreams. They engaged me in God's word. "I can't" was never tolerated and I heard "if it were easy, anyone could do it" more times than I ever wanted to. 

77. My family would take a vacation every summer and drive to various parts of the US. As a child, I traveled to 45 of the 50 states and we weren't allowed to utter the words "Are we there yet?". Ever.

78. My mom always told me as a teenager that I would one day meet a man that would treat me the way I should be treated. She was right.

79. I would jump for HOURS on my trampoline as a child. When my daughter was two, I bought her a trampoline ;)

80. I would often pretend to have a cooking show like Julia Child when I was little. 

(81-90)  Ten recipes I heart

81. Deep Dish Pizza- It is steeped in memories and is great comfort food.


82. Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken. It is super easy, super fast and super healthy. Heart it.



83. Gal in the Middle's Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins. Addicting. Miss Add still wants to visit the lady that makes the muffins!

84. Puddie's Pork Fried Rice. Delicious. And, Puddie makes it... not me!


85. Super Easy Puddin' Cake. Three ingredients--yet so fancy and oh so yummy!


86. GOODe Bruschetta- This is another one of Puddie's recipes. It is A--MAZ--ING. Summer on a slice.


87. Speaking of Summer... I adore marinades. Puddie's Shrimp Marinade is a very popular--always requested--dish we fix for guests.


88.  Rhode Island Peach Slump is a one-skillet wonder. LOVE it! Easy and delicious.


89. Favorite Corn Casserole was an improvement on a family favorite that was a HUGE success.


90. The Finer Things in Life's Brown Bag Burritos. I found the recipe on Life as Mom a while back and I make them ALL the time. I even made them when I freezer cooked with 12 of my bloggy buddies a few months ago.


(91-100) Ten things I want to know when I meet you at Blissdom.

91. Where you are from?

92. What is your blog name and what do you blog about?--Please note: I have a really stellar knack for not knowing who someone is--even uber-famous people--... it isn't you, it is me.

93. What are you passionate about?

94. Truth be told, I want to know that you don't think I am weird or silly or dumb.  It would be uber-cool if you liked me, ya know really liked me.


95. That you have an amazing knack for small talk and can carry me through that part of the convo or that you hate it/struggle with it as much as I do.

96. If you know where the nearest place is that I can grab a diet coke...

97. If you minded if I joined your group, table or activity... Truth be told, going to this thing all alone for the first time EVER is a little scary... just sayin'

98. What is the coolest thing you have learned/experienced so far?

99. Do you know how to use my camera better than I do? Let's be friends.

100. If there is something that I shouldn't miss. Tell me when/where and I will totally be there.

Whew... if you made it this far, I am sure you now know wayyy more than you ever cared to know about me.
I will be giving out gold stars to anyone who read it all the way through ;)

Now, I need to go pack... see you next week!
Photobucket

17 GOODe Thoughts:

OK. I read every word and glad I did! I love learning more about people that I think I know well! Let's never sit together at a function where we don't know anyone...we'll just talk to each other (small talk is scary). Also...why aren't you doing our creative work... :)

Yes long but i loved it!
Good luck!!!

Leontien

www.littlemissbookwurm.blogspot.com

Ok, I want my gold star! :-) Can't wait to meet you face to face!
Bernice
http://livingthebalancedlife.com/2011/getting-the-respect-you-deserve/

I may or may not have uttered "are we there yet" on one or two of those family vacations where I hitchhiked along :)

Fun! Great to get to know you more.

You're not sepia tone in real life? Weird???

Yay! Looking forward to meeting you!

I read almost every single one of those!

Have fun! Come back and teach us lots!

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you....even if the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins don't make it!! :) Great list~hope you have a great Blissdom!! Hope to see you there....I'll be the gal with the real (yet subtle) feathers (real) in her hair! ~Chris Ann (the MN half of LoveFeast Table blog)

This will be my first year not going to Blissdom (so very bummed about this, just wasn't in the budget for me this year). It's a great first conference to go to because it's so much smaller than something like BlogHer and I generally find people to be really open and friendly. Take in as much as you can - the panels and workshops are full of great information, and above all, have fun! Go to all the social events. The first year I went I didn't know a soul, either. I'm not super outgoing, and I still felt welcomed and came away with some really amazing blog friends.

There are quite a few Indy folks going, though. Not sure if you know these girls already, but if you meet them be sure to introduce yourself and tell them you're from Indy!

Heather Sokol (@JustHeather) Inexpensively.com
Emily Elling (@designhermomma) Designhermomma.com
Casey Mullins (@mooshinindy) Mooshinindy.com
Cherie Lowe (@thequeenoffree) Queenoffree.net

Have fun!

and I still need a muffin!! haha! You will do great! Atleast you aren't traveling to another country by your self for a fish meeting... Yep that's what I get to pack for! We will miss you Friday!

We have a lot more in common than location and cooking! I am a graphics student! (Along with journalism.)

I loved seeing your work!

We have a lot more in common than location and cooking! I am a graphics student! (Along with journalism.)

I loved seeing your work!

This will be my first year not going to Blissdom (so very bummed about this, just wasn't in the budget for me this year). It's a great first conference to go to because it's so much smaller than something like BlogHer and I generally find people to be really open and friendly. Take in as much as you can - the panels and workshops are full of great information, and above all, have fun! Go to all the social events. The first year I went I didn't know a soul, either. I'm not super outgoing, and I still felt welcomed and came away with some really amazing blog friends.

There are quite a few Indy folks going, though. Not sure if you know these girls already, but if you meet them be sure to introduce yourself and tell them you're from Indy!

Heather Sokol (@JustHeather) Inexpensively.com
Emily Elling (@designhermomma) Designhermomma.com
Casey Mullins (@mooshinindy) Mooshinindy.com
Cherie Lowe (@thequeenoffree) Queenoffree.net

Have fun!

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you....even if the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins don't make it!! :) Great list~hope you have a great Blissdom!! Hope to see you there....I'll be the gal with the real (yet subtle) feathers (real) in her hair! ~Chris Ann (the MN half of LoveFeast Table blog)

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you....even if the Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins don't make it!! :) Great list~hope you have a great Blissdom!! Hope to see you there....I'll be the gal with the real (yet subtle) feathers (real) in her hair! ~Chris Ann (the MN half of LoveFeast Table blog)

I am ashamed to say I have never read this post, and even though we are now friends, it was nice to read some of the details that I would not ever get in our long distance blog buddy relationship. 
I can't wait to see you again next week! (and meet your sister too!)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More